Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF Opheim Branch

Date: 02/22/18 15:03
BNSF Opheim Branch
Author: rhburn3

I am trying to put together a presentation on the Opheim, MT branch of the BNSF. The Great Northern line opened through Plentywood, MT, in 1912 and by February, 1926, it had reached Scobey. The February 1926 Official Guide shows proposed construction. I think the line was cut back in 1989, but the BNSF still operates it in 2018. I do not think the line has been sold to a short line.

Any thoughts where I might find pictures of the line.

Date: 02/22/18 16:25
Re: BNSF Opheim Branch
Author: czephyr17

The portion of the line from Scobey to Opheim was officially abandoned by BN on 3/15/1991.

BNSF leased the Scobey Subdivision from Bainville to Scobey to the Yellowstone Valley Railroad ("YSVR", a Watco railroad) on 8/15/2005, along with the Sidney Line between Snowden and Glendive, Montana.

YSVR operated the lines until 2013, after which the lease was cancelled and operation returned to BNSF.

The portion of the Scobey Sub between Plentywood and Scobey was taken out of service by BNSF in 2002, prior to being leased to YSVR, and although it was included in the lease to YSVR, I don't believe that status was ever changed while they leased the railroad, and it remains out of service today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 16:28 by czephyr17.

Date: 02/23/18 12:44
Author: rhburn3

Does Plentywood still have BNSF freight service?

Date: 02/23/18 16:36

rhburn3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Plentywood still have BNSF freight service?

Yes.

Date: 02/23/18 19:56
Author: EricSP

What was the reason for cancelling the lease?

Date: 02/24/18 14:20

EricSP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was the reason for cancelling the lease?

Can't say exactly, but the lease was cancelled during the Bakken oil boom in the region, which resulted in lots of shifts in traffic patterns due to oil unit trains and frac sand trains in and out of the area, particularly on the Sidney Line between Snowden and Glendive. I'm guessing BNSF probably wanted to be in control of these movements without having the complexities of interchanging with a shortline.

Date: 03/09/18 20:43
Author: EricSP

Thanks. It sounds like BNSF canceled it because the line became profitable.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds