Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Horn stolen from Santa Maria Valley Railroad yard

Date: 03/06/18 10:07
Horn stolen from Santa Maria Valley Railroad yard
Author: smvrrfan

Between late Saturday afternoon and early Monday morning the horn off of the BUGX 1322 was stolen. The 1322 was parked on the west end of Osburn Yard. That part of the yard is visible from West Stowell and the person would have to cross a field to get to that portion of the yard and typically the gates to the farm roads are locked during the weekend. Anyone who have seen any suspicious activity during those times please contact the Santa Maria Valley Railroad at 805-922-7941.

Date: 03/06/18 12:58
Re: Horn stolen from Santa Maria Valley Railroad yard
Author: wjpyper

Here's a picture of the horn.

Date: 03/06/18 13:20
Author: SantaFeRuss

Probably some dumb-ass railfan or trucker stole the horn. Speculation of course. Just my $0.02. Too bad. Some people don't get it. Makes it look bad for the railfan community

SantaFeRuss

Date: 03/06/18 15:36
Author: Valleyman

I personally think it was some dumb ass Railroad employee that wanted a horn to go with his retirement watch! However, just like SantaFeRuss who can’t prove a railfan or trucker stole it, any more than I can prove a Railroad employee stole it. I will say there is a big market for Locomotive horns at flea markets and on Craig’s list. The average thief’ will steal anything to sell on the black market. That would be my guess!

Valleyman

Date: 03/06/18 17:05
Author: Cupolau

They were having a problem with the same thing in the Central Valley and resorted to putting a grill around the horns.

Date: 03/06/18 18:15
Author: Lackawanna484

Do some railroads weld the horn into place?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/06/18 20:54
Author: 567Chant

Do horns have serial numbers?
...Lorenzo

Date: 03/06/18 21:01
Author: erielackawanna

Damn - I'm so sorry. People are jerks.

Date: 03/06/18 21:04
Author: fbe

Meth heads and crack hounds are rampant around anything of value.

Date: 03/06/18 21:53
Author: smvrrfan

The horns were targeted, welded to the locomotive. It took some effort to remove the horns. There are easier things to steal, it was someone who specifically wanted the horns.

Date: 03/07/18 05:53
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the info.

Sad.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/07/18 07:11
Author: g-spotter1

Sometimes its not truckers or railfans. There are these yahoos that mount them on their pickups so they can video themselves scaring the socks off of people. Youtube is full of such videos. High level stupidity. Horns can fetch decent cash on ebay, so there are lots of possibilities that are less obvious.

Date: 03/07/18 07:21
Author: BAB

At one time back a few years was told by a trucker you had to have proof that it was bought and not stolen. As for who stole it, just a jerk who is a thief nothing more nothing less and sells stuff on line or craigs list.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1836 seconds