Home Open Account Help 205 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Downtown Kansas City railfanning

Date: 03/13/18 06:53
Downtown Kansas City railfanning
Author: march_hare

Looks like I may be in downtown KC for a day or two this fall, probably without a car.

From the videos I've seen, it looks like you can have a reasonable day shooting in the downtown area on foot. Is this correct?

Date: 03/13/18 07:09
Re: Downtown Kansas City railfanning
Author: livesteamer

If by downtown, you are referring to the area in and around Union Station, the answer would be "yes". Union Station sits astride the BNSF Transcon Route plus Amtrak does serve Union Station with 3 daily east and west bound trains. There is a bridge that crosses the tracks...bridge was featured on a History Channel show that involved "big moves". You can also expect to see some transfer runs and action by the KCT. There will also be some UP action for trains have trackage rights on the BNSF or heading to the River Sub for eastward movement to St Louis. Not much in the way of KCS or NS will roll through Union Station. Keep in mind also that you can rail the KC light rail as it departs from Union Station for a 2+ mile run to the River Market District. And, the light rail is free!

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/13/18 07:25
Author: sp8192

Yes. Just search on here for KC railfanning. There are lots of previous posts about it.

Date: 03/13/18 08:07
Author: UPTRAIN

livesteamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Union Station sits astride the BNSF
> Transcon Route...

Union Station is located on the Kansas City Terminal Railway, while it does form a de facto portion of the BNSF Southern Transcon, it's still not theirs despite the fact that they maintain most of it.

Pump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/18 08:08 by UPTRAIN.

Date: 03/13/18 08:17
Author: kbmiflyer

As mentioned above, the best place "downtown" is Union Station, which is actually several blocks south of downtown but can be reached easily by the new streetcar that runs down main street. There can be slow times, but on average there is a train every 15 to 30 minutes. Six Amtrak trains a day plus a steady diet of mostly BNSF inter-modals and other BNSF freight.

The best other nearby railfanning sites are either at Sante Fe Junction or the West Bottoms. Both would be a fairly long and tough walk from downtown. You could get to the West Bottoms by walking west on 12th street across the interstate, I am not sure you could walk to Sante Fe Juction.

A quick uber or taxi ride would get you to both. For Sante Fe Junction, go to Holmes Drywall supply, 1881 W 25th street, for the West Bottoms, I like the small park at the end of 8th street, near 940 W 8th St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/18 08:18 by kbmiflyer.

Date: 03/13/18 08:20
Author: livesteamer

Pump,

Thanks for the correction; I have been part of the KC railfan scene since 1977; I know better. And I should have been a bit more precise in how I worded my response.

Marty aka livesteamer

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 03/13/18 10:22
Author: bmarti7

kbmiflyer Wrote:
> A quick Uber or taxi ride would get you to both.
> For Santa Fe Junction, go to Holmes Drywall
> supply, 1881 W 25th street, for the West Bottoms,
> I like the small park at the end of 8th street,
> near 940 W 8th St.

1. Santa Fe Junction - Although a safe area during the day, I would not recommend being "dropped-off" next to the drywall supply company. It would be difficult to get a ride out of there. Also you might draw attention of police (KC MO or railroad) just standing around there.

2. The "west 8th" location is a neat park on Quality Hill. It is also very safe during the day. I believe it's on a city bus route, but it's easy locale for Uber or taxi to find.

Totally non-railroad is the National WW I Memorial (theworldwar.org) just to the south of Union Station. It's well worth the visit. A photo of the the south facade of Union Station from the Memorial plaza is a classic image. You can also go up the tower for panoramic view.I hope you have a great time - KC is one of my favorite cities with great steaks and BBQ. I hope the weather allows you to explore outside.

BB

Date: 03/13/18 19:43
Author: RuleG

During a May 2014 visit to Kansas City, I spent a few days in Kansas City. I spent time at both Union Station and the West Bottoms area. I have never been in a place which had such heavy volumes of freight trains as Kansas City.

I accessed all locations by foot and bus (the streetcar line was under construction at the time). I would characterize the walk from Downtown to the West Bottoms as long, but not tough for anyone who is not out of shape.

Take a few minutes to go inside Union Station, too.

For barbecue, there is Jack Stacks restaurant at the other end of the pedestrian bridge from Union Station.

Date: 03/14/18 08:23
Author: kbmiflyer

bmarti7 Wrote:
>
> 1. Santa Fe Junction - Although a safe area during
> the day, I would not recommend being "dropped-off"
> next to the drywall supply company. It would be
> difficult to get a ride out of there. Also you
> might draw attention of police (KC MO or railroad)
> just standing around there.
>
> 2. The "west 8th" location is a neat park on
> Quality Hill. It is also very safe during the day.
> I believe it's on a city bus route, but it's easy
> locale for Uber or taxi to find.
>
> Totally non-railroad is the National WW I Memorial
> (theworldwar.org) just to the south of Union
> Station. It's well worth the visit. A photo of the
> the south facade of Union Station from the
> Memorial plaza is a classic image. You can also go
> up the tower for panoramic view.I hope you have a
> great time - KC is one of my favorite cities with
> great steaks and BBQ. I hope the weather allows
> you to explore outside.
>
> BB

I personally have not had any problems at Santa Fe Junction at the drywall place, but I have always been there after hours (still daylight) or weekends. I have never had trouble from police, they will occasionally drive by but leave you alone as long as you are not trespassing. The junction sits almost right on the state line, so I am not sure who even has jurisdiction (other than railroad police). That said, you are correct that you won't get a taxi back easily, I assume you could still get an uber though. I have always had a car.

It is interesting you mentioned the WWI museum and tower. I almost mentioned that also as it is a real gem in Kansas city. You can actually get some nice distant view of Santa Fe Junction from the hill that the museum sits on, or at the top of the tower.

Date: 03/14/18 15:31
Author: UPTRAIN

kbmiflyer Wrote:
...so I
> am not sure who even has jurisdiction (other than
> railroad police).

Kansas City, Missouri Police respond to the Missouri side of the state line, Kansas City Kansas Police respond to the Kansas side of the state line. They're well aware of where the state line lies in that vicinity.

Pump

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds