Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Dunsmuir spreader at Mott

Date: 03/17/18 10:12
Dunsmuir spreader at Mott
Author: mp345

Back when winters meant something around here, the Jordan Spreader out of Dunsmuir is working north at Mott.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/18 10:13 by mp345.

Date: 03/17/18 10:26
Re: Dunsmuir spreader at Mott
Author: TCnR

Nice action photo, good to see you posting on TO. That's the UP spreader that was in town for a while, I believe it was 903032. I caught it sitting in town with the UP5427 for power in February 2009.

The rebuilt 903134 was in town for a while and it may be the assigned spreader. I'd have to go look though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/18 10:30 by TCnR.

Date: 03/17/18 10:54
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Very nice action shot of that spreader! When was that?

Date: 03/17/18 12:56

Margaret I really can't remember when the photo was taken, but TCnR's guess of 2009 sounds plausible. It seems to me that at one point the spreader assigned to Dunsmuir (if there was one) had a mechanical problem and it was replaced with another one. Whichever one I photographed at Mott had an "issue" of its own, as one of the hydraulic cylinders that move the wings had to be futzed with. After the spreader and a northbound freight had cleared I got this photo of what a nice, sunny day it was...

Date: 03/17/18 13:12

I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure that while the Dunsmuir spreader was out of service UP ended up using this ballast regulator to keep things under control, shown here at Black Butte.

Date: 03/17/18 13:35
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

mp345 ---
That is a gorgeous photo of that "nice, sunny day"! :G> Brrrr!!!!! And that is a super photo of the ballast regulator i action -- wow!! And, as far as the UP was concerned back then, ya use what ya got. It did the job -- or some of it. And you got to see it and photograph it in action -- wonderful!

Date: 03/17/18 13:42
Author: TCnR

Wasn't really keeping count but I show three different Jordan Spreaders since 2009, five different spreaders since 1983 and I'm sure I missed a few. for those really concerned I have photos of them in my PBase 'Galleries'.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds