Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Photobob espee book

Date: 03/18/18 10:35
Photobob espee book
Author: fbe

I got my copy from Bobs apair at winterail. After a couple of run thrus I can say it is a very nice book with wide coverage over decades of time. I only wish the book was 14x20 or so to really open up the photos. The book is printed in fairly high contrast but you can see an amazing amount of detail in background shadows.

I hope it sells out soon so we will get a Volume 2.

Thanks, Bob and Bob

Date: 03/18/18 11:06
Re: Photobob espee book
Author: TCnR

The general idea for the book is the Southern Pacific Historical and Technical Society (SPH&TS) publishing a series of profile books based on individuals who have been taking photos of the SP through the years. The series is in contrast to a special focus on one collection by one publishing company, as Signature Press, PFM or Morning Sun may have done in the past.

Bob's collection is unique and extremely broad, his early Canada trips, Eastern Trips have some real treasures, his Santa Fe stuff rivals the SP favorites, Bob's stories of his trips are a hoot by themselves. Perhaps this will demonstrate a market for a second book.

Date: 03/18/18 11:21
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The general idea for the book is the Southern
> Pacific Historical and Technical Society (SPH&TS)
> publishing a series of profile books based on
> individuals who have been taking photos of the SP
> through the years. The series is in contrast to a
> special focus on one collection by one publishing
> company, as Signature Press, PFM or Morning Sun
> may have done in the past.
>
> Bob's collection is unique and extremely broad,
> his early Canada trips, Eastern Trips have some
> real treasures, his Santa Fe stuff rivals the SP
> favorites, Bob's stories of his trips are a hoot
> by themselves. Perhaps this will demonstrate a
> market for a second book.

"Perhaps"??? How not? And I had no idea he had really good stories to tell.

Photobob --
PLEASE -- write down your stories and put them into a Vol. 2. Please! Or at least get them written down or even audiotaped and give the manuscript or tape to someone who can publish it
And please publish a book of your Santa Fe photos -- or at least get them scanned and let someone else publish them for you. I say this because I long ago read that writing a book takes over an authors life and takes a gigantic amount of time, and this is true whether you are writing a novel or putting together a collection of photos with captions. And it would be a real shame if the rest of your incredible work did not get published.

I have already ordered my copy of photobob's excellent book, and can hardly wait for it to arrive.

Date: 03/18/18 12:11
Author: TCnR

Who else can associate Yellowhead Pass, Canadian National and the word 'Yoga'?
except maybe the Engineer and Brakeman that day...

>
... And I had no idea he had
> really good stories to tell.
>

Date: 03/18/18 14:09
Author: RS12394

SPH&TS...Please consider making these hardbound books. The photographers deserve a real "book."

Joe McMillan

Date: 03/18/18 16:46
Author: Super_C

RS12394 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SPH&TS...Please consider making these hardbound
> books. The photographers deserve a real "book."
>
> Joe McMillan

AMEN!!!

Date: 03/18/18 21:23
Author: ATSFSuperChief

I would also prefer hardbound; especially any new Santa Fe book. However will take any Santa Fe book from Photobob in any format.

Date: 03/19/18 13:29
Author: Notch16

Sincerest thanks from The Bobs, to all who stopped by, and for the nice comments here on TO! Speaking as a private citizen and one of the named Bobs, I can share that the measured decision to do this volume as a more affordable softcover seemed to have been supported at least by the show traffic: the photo shows what was left of ten boxes of Photobob softcovers that started the show being full. 

The first Photobob volume could easily have been published as a hardcover title of 300-plus pages, and no doubt would also have sold; Bob's photos justify almost any format but we specifically wanted each image to own the page. The choice to come out of the gate at a less-than-steep price of entry (essentially below the $50 threshold) was hoped to inspire those who pass by some of the more expensive books. It was a calculated choice, and the economy was meant to attract as many Photobob fans as possible. (A large portfolio-sized volume would have also been undeniably great to behold -- but figuring price and press run quantities would be a guessing game with no right answers.)

Will there be other Photobob volumes? The intro of this one mentions the glorious pain of selecting only a couple hundred of the 6,500 or so SP-only images that Bob One offered up to Bob Two for editing and inclusion. And the SPH&TS was the publisher here, so the Photobob content was deliberately corralled to just SP, where Bob's portfolio is much, much broader -- and as we like to say repeatedly, that kid could have a future!

Thanks again to everyone!

~ Bob Z.

Date: 03/19/18 14:40
Author: WAF

Not bad. Maybe 15 boxes, 20 books to a box. Very done

Date: 03/19/18 15:13
Author: callum_out

Juh save any for the rest of us?

Out

Date: 03/19/18 15:48
Author: Notch16

No worries there.

~ BZ

Date: 03/20/18 20:04
Author: Lone Star

That is one happy scene, Bob 2!

JF

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0597 seconds