Home Open Account Help 183 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sunday in Central Iowa

Date: 03/19/18 04:38
Sunday in Central Iowa
Author: MILW86A

Went up north towards Iowa Falls and Ackley Iowa Sunday March 18th. Got a tip about a NS heritage engine coming west on the CN.

1. Fromer CIC Geep now part of the Co Op at Garden City.

2. NB UP at Garden City.

3. SB UP, I think ITDM at Mills Tower in Iowa Falls.

Date: 03/19/18 04:42
Re: Sunday in Central Iowa

4. This is the Iowa River RR south of Ackley, which runs the old the MSTL. They have extended the siding and built a new one for increased ehtanol interchange with the CN. They have run two unit trains out of the plant at Steamboat Rock so far this year with more to come Im told.

4. CN L571 with the old IC depot. My great grandfather was the agent here back in WWII.

4. NS 8101...my first time seeing this one.

Date: 03/19/18 04:44

7. Engineer Andy Barrett has the CN L570 in the hole as it waits for its counterpart on the Mills Siding.

8. CN L571 at the east end of Mills..."Get your camera ready!" to quote the hogger on the radio.

Date: 03/19/18 04:48

9. L571 did work at Iowa Falls. Had to pick up 21 off the UP transfer then shove those into the yard(whats left) for L570 to pickup Monday(this crew to be exact). Then shoved 5 cars into the transfer there.

10. One more of NS 8101.

They still had work at Webster City on the way to Ft. Dodge. Called a Cab there for 1845-18 to help assist yarding the train since they could not keep it on the main as there was a U704 to be run later in the evening.

Thanks for loooking. Comments and questions welcomed.

MILW86A

Date: 03/19/18 06:47
Author: oklachaser

Nice series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/19/18 07:50
Author: MP90

Nice report and photos. Always good to see what's going on in Iowa. Thanks for posting.

Date: 03/19/18 08:13
Author: ntharalson

Good catches K-Man. And remember, CIC 101 is ex-MILW!

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/19/18 10:28
Author: SP8595

Great consists!

Date: 03/19/18 21:28
Author: brc600

Good pics, Dave.

What happened to the ex CRANDIC Parent Iowa Power & Light SW-1 @ Garden City? That came to Council Bluffs, IAIS shop in Crandic colors.

ntharalson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good catches K-Man. And remember, CIC 101 is
> ex-MILW!
>
> Nick Tharalson,
> Marion, IA

Date: 03/20/18 08:23
Author: ntharalson

brc600 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good pics, Dave.
>
> What happened to the ex CRANDIC Parent Iowa Power
> & Light SW-1 @ Garden City? That came to Council
> Bluffs, IAIS shop in Crandic colors.
>
>
I can't answer this question fully. However, if you're referring to the unit I think you
are, this was the plant switcher for years at the Prairie Creek Station of Iowa Electric/
Alliant Industries, in Cedar Rapids, successors to Iowa Power and Light. It was replaced
by SW8 90 in the 1990's when Crandic started to upgrade their power with the ex-MILW
GP9's.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds