Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union to Louisville Local

Date: 03/20/18 18:07
Union to Louisville Local
Author: twjurgens

Got a chance to follow the Union to Louisville last Wednesday, March 14. Power was UPY 646 and 697.

The days I've been able to follow it, the crew puts the train together at Union and is usually out between 8 and 9 in the morning. The grades and slow speeds on this branch make for a relatively easy chase.

The first 2 shots are of the train leaving Union, the first crossing Highway 34 in Union and second at the west wye switch near there.

The first switching occurs at the Potash Corp at Weeping Water. The times I've watched this, tanks are delivered on the way up and picked up on the return. I don't know much about this operation other than it is owned by Nutrien (according to Google). This time, we noticed some hoppers in there too. The third shot is of the train shoving tanks into the Potash facility

Hang on, this will be a long post!

Date: 03/20/18 18:08
Re: Union to Louisville Local

In the fourth and fifth shots, the train is leaving the facility.

As mentioned in a previous post, grades on this branch are steep after leaving Weeping Water, especially between there and Manly. The sixth shot is on the grade just north of Weeping Water.

Date: 03/20/18 18:10

The seventh and eighth shots are again just north of Weeping Water. The ninth shot is of the train descending the grade just south of Manly.

Date: 03/20/18 18:13

The next 2 shots are on the grade just south of Manly. These two motors don't have dynamic brakes so the brakes really squeal descending this grade. There is a large grain elevator at Manly where hoppers are dropped and picked up.

The last shot is at Louisville. The fly ash cars had been dropped at the Ash Grove cement plant there and the train was headed back to Union. We noticed on the way up that the engines were causing problems for the crew. A mechanic had worked on them at Weeping Water and had to be called again at Louisville.

Looking at the grades on this line, it's hard to believe that this was the original MoP main line in Nebraska.

I had to get back to Lincoln so we couldn't hang around for the return trip. Maybe next time!

Date: 03/20/18 18:30
Author: miralomarail

In what State were these Beautiful photo's taken ?

Date: 03/20/18 19:33

Thanks! Nebraska, mentioned with last set of photos.

Date: 03/20/18 20:05
Author: SCKP187

These are great photos of the chase. Neat local with a matched set of power--can't beat that.
Brian Stevens

Date: 03/21/18 05:20
Author: robj

Great interesting set. Bob

Date: 03/21/18 05:48
Author: oklachaser

Great photos Tom.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/21/18 07:26
Author: rev66vette

Very interesting post about branch line railroading...thanks for sharing...

Date: 03/21/18 08:05
Author: ntharalson

miralomarail Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In what State were these Beautiful photo's taken ?

Eastern Nebraska to be a little more precise.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 03/21/18 08:48
Author: trainmanwes

Great Tom! hope to go next trip.
Wes

Date: 03/21/18 09:57
Author: callum_out

The initial grade East out of Louisville is pretty interesting, in fact the whole branch is pretty weird,
it just sorta meanders, the old joke about following the drunk cow. Great shots, makes me regret never chasing
that line while I was back there.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds