Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Thank You Time Change

Date: 03/25/18 15:00
Thank You Time Change
Author: mg8711

What is often undesired by most people, that being when we turn our clocks ahead an hour in the spring, is often to a railfan beneficial for photography. The quick hour of daylight after work turns to two, and two hours makes it far more possible to see a train on a quiet rail line than one. Such a case happened this past Thursday after work for me. I had plans to go bicycling but UP decided to send a coal empty west on the KP. I was able to pull off both tasks, shooting the train and riding.

So here's to you time change, I raise my glass, for while you annoy most people, you're a good friend to me.

UP 8644 brings an empty coal train across the Big Blue River bridge on the east side of Manhattan, KS.
March 22nd, 2018

Thanks for looking!
mg8711

Date: 03/25/18 15:24
Re: Thank You Time Change
Author: exhaustED

That's a very nicely composed (and lit) shot. A bike ride and a train on a sunny evening - it doesn't get much better than that! I have a regular freight that I like to shoot in the early morning, but the clock change means it now arrives just before sunrise rather than after...so I have to wait a few weeks to shoot it in good light again...but I'm glad the change helped you out...good things come to those who wait! ;-)

Date: 03/25/18 17:03
Author: santafe199

I agree, your composition is spot-on. Looking at the engineer reminds me of a 1988 trip out of Missoula to Spokane one afternoon/evening. My partner & I caught some manifest train (#121??) and it seemed like we had to stare into a bright sun for a great many miles as it slowly sank in the west. It was really blinding, and we both ended up with near-headaches. The visors were no good because to block the sun they also blocked our ability to see the right-of-way in case of something that would affect our progress, such as a surprise sign or flag that might have been an efficiency test. It was no picnic...

Lance/199

Date: 03/25/18 20:05
Author: P

I'll toast you and the time change!

I could never understand why people complain about having more daylight after working hours.....

Date: 03/26/18 06:37
Author: ns1000

Nice light!!

Date: 03/26/18 06:54
Author: bobk

Great shot!

Date: 03/26/18 10:11
Author: bmarti7

Nice catch Lucas.

BB

Date: 03/28/18 07:07
Author: ATSF2921

Sweet shot, Lucas.

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds