Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Driving By the Stored UP Engines in Arizona in March 2017

Date: 04/09/18 11:04
Driving By the Stored UP Engines in Arizona in March 2017
Author: Agent

In March of last year, I was on a family trip to Tucson, Arizona. East of Tucson, I saw the line of stored Union Pacific locomotives near Interstate 10 that I'd read about a few times on Trainorders. As we were leaving Arizona, I tried to film the stored engines as we drove by. The video came out a bit shaky, but hopefully it shows some of the scope of just how many units were stored there. The entire line wasn't even visible from the Interstate.

Last month, we went to Tucson again. There were only a couple handful of engines left on the west end of the line (the end where the video starts).

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/09/18 12:12
Re: Driving By the Stored UP Engines in Arizona in March 2017
Author: photobob

How much of an investment has the UP have sitting there?

Date: 04/09/18 12:20
Author: NKPBernet

photobob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How much of an investment has the UP have sitting
> there?

From an accounting perspective, probably not as much as you think. It really depends on how quickly those assets depreciate off the books.

-Regards,

Dave

Date: 04/09/18 15:13
Author: Roadbed

Wow, that is a LOT of engines. What is the heritage of this line?

Date: 04/09/18 15:31
Author: Agent

Roadbed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, that is a LOT of engines. What is the
> heritage of this line?

This is the former mainline alignment that went south of I-10. A new alignment was built that kept the track north of the highway. This thread has some more details: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2668661. I think I've read some other threads with more details.

Date: 04/09/18 16:18
Author: SD70M

I'm heading that way in about a week's time. From what I have heard, there will be few, if indeed any, locomotives present. I understand that the majority of the old GE's have been sold back to the manufacturer, and a lot of SD60M's have been returned to service. I remember seeing the line at Colton a few years back, this one was even bigger at its height.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0286 seconds