Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Cascade Line Shutdown

Date: 04/12/18 20:12
UP Cascade Line Shutdown
Author: Railbaron

Due to "tunnel issues" with Tunnel 11 in the Oregon Cascades, the mainline has been effectively shutdown most of today and as of 0100 tonight it will be completely shutdown until 1700 on Friday. There are no southbound trains to be called out of Eugene and no northbound trains out of Klamath Falls to be called EXCEPT for the northbound "Z-train" tonight (it will be allowed through).

In the notice I saw there was no mention of Amtrak; I assume #11 got through but no news about #14 on Friday.

I do not know what the issue is with Tunnel 11.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/18 20:15 by Railbaron.

Date: 04/12/18 21:20
Re: UP Cascade Line Shutdown
Author: BoilingMan

I'm ticketed on tomorrow's 11 out of Sacramento.  It's running OT into K Falls this evening, so I guess I/they dodged this bullet!
SR

Date: 04/12/18 23:14
Author: P

Any option to run any traffic on the original line through Roseburg, Drain, etc?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/12/18 23:37
Author: TCnR

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any option to run any traffic on the original line
> through Roseburg, Drain, etc?
>
> Posted from Android

Not even maybe. No crews, no clearance, short sidings, steep grades.

It's being used to source traffic from the southern Oregon Forests into the UPRR System. The tunnel at the south end has not been updated for the larger cars and engines. The UPrr can just wait it out and then run trains when the tunnel is fixed.

Another identifiable alternative is to use existing trackage rights on the Oregon Trunk, no CTC, small sidings, no crews. During the big slide in the Fields area a few years ago they used the OT with some success. Maybe running the Z's as single stacks on the OT, but it sounds like the idea is to schedule for a Friday and take a small hit on Monday morning landings.

Keep in mind that the UPrr considers the alternate route to LA to be the route through Salt Lake City. Lots of CTC, lots of crews, lots of double track and big sidings. They were using that route a few weeks ago during the first tunnel issue.

Date: 04/13/18 10:20
Author: MP555

TCnR Wrote:
> Another identifiable alternative is to use
> existing trackage rights on the Oregon Trunk, no
> CTC, small sidings, no crews.

The Trunk now has CTC between South Jct. and Lava, roughly 80 miles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/18 10:22 by MP555.

Date: 04/13/18 14:44
Author: daniel3197

MP555 Wrote:
> TCnR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Another identifiable alternative is to use
> > existing trackage rights on the Oregon Trunk,
> no
> > CTC, small sidings, no crews.
>
> The Trunk now has CTC between South Jct. and Lava,
> roughly 80 miles.
Thank you VERY much for this update on CTC on Inside Gateway in OR .
What is the Latest UP=pdate on CTC Progress on the BNSF Gateway sub Kfalls--Bieber--Keddie Wye ???
BNSF was reported to have been makign a Full Court press with CTC a few months ago or so.
THis would make some detours Much much Easier on the railraods.

----Daniel

Date: 04/13/18 18:48
Author: TCnR

Not sure whassup, a 3 unit light engine set just went north through Dunsmuir. There's been two work trains in town this week but that power is clearly not part of those projects. CSX unit as second locomotive.

A MoW train is about to leave town to the south, it's been in town for a while with the MoW equipment scattered all over the south part of town.

+ 6:45 on the D-Cam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/18 19:02 by TCnR.

Date: 04/13/18 22:43
Author: FiestaFoamer

While waiting for an Orange Line MAX just south of Brooklyn Yard, I noted a SB mixed freight with CN boxcars and lumber (probably MPDRV) stopped and apparently tied down; the ZBRLC crept past it on the other track, leaving town a few hours later than usual. This all fits with the above reports of not allowing southbounds through.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/14/18 16:52
Author: MP555

daniel3197 Wrote:
> What is the Latest UP=pdate on CTC Progress on the
> BNSF Gateway sub Kfalls--Bieber--Keddie Wye ???

All I know about the Gateway is that it is still CTC-less.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds