Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Western Vacation Days 2-6

Date: 04/23/18 12:34
Western Vacation Days 2-6
Author: bmarti7

There's an explanation owed here. This 2-week vacation included some happenings other than rail fanning. Day 2 began exploring the BNSF Orin sub through the coal mines. Although the weather was perfect, it was difficult finding good locals with good sun angles while avoiding trespassing on railroad or mine properties. So I wound up around the Black Thunder Mine which claims to be North America's largest coal mine. There was one loaded train ready for departure, the UP 8242 east. It's headlights/ ditch lights were on but it didn't move for 30 minutes. I kept waiting for train to start moving, but it didn't. There was a R.J. Corman track crew working in the area but not on that track. I had miles to go that day and besides that area has been very well covered elsewhere on TO. I did hear on the scanner or see 14 coal trains between Donkey Creek and Glenco. I also heard the DS mention to one train that they were "no. 3" at one mine. While the coal shipments are certainly down from its peak, there is still a lot of traffic in the area.

At Cheyenne there was nothing on the UP or BNSF. UNBELIEVABLE! I thought for sure I would see some activity there. I was not terribly disappointed as Bob and the yellow team cover things very well in that area. I had to make a decision whether to go on to Denver following the UP or BNSF. I chose the latter. As I crossed the Colorado/Wyoming border I heard the UP DS instructing a westbound to stop at the depot for a crew change. I should have asked God for guidance as there was only one train switching at Ft. Collins. Meanwhile the UP dispatcher was losing her voice with all the activity on their line. (sorry - I don't know many of the UP subs' names).

The next day I had the privilege to meet TO member "mojaveflyer". It turns out that Jim and I had much in common other than our love of trains. We had a great visit together. That afternoon I took in a Rockies game. Coors Field is a beautiful ball park. Then my wife arrived and our exploration of our "old stomping ground for 25+ years began. We visited the old neighborhoods and made a day-long trip into the beautiful mountains - not following the tracks.

Mexican and Chinese cuisine are really sub-standard at our current home so we indulged in some of our favorites when we lived there: 3 Margaritas in Wheat Ridge (unfortunately Alamos Verdes in Arvada had closed - the fate of many restaurants); and Heaven Dragon in Arvada. Before going to Heaven Dragon for lunch, and even though the weather was dismal, we staked out Blue Mountain Road as No. 5 was running several hours late. The Amtrak website showed that it had departed Denver however transit docs showed it was still there. After waiting 1.5 hours, hungry and needing a potty break, we headed for the restaurant. Of course, as soon as we were seated, I checked transit docs and showed the Zephyr on the big 10. [I know many of you dedicated rail fans will remind me that it takes patience, food with you and a bush nearby to properly execute a plan][right Lance?]. But I had the wife and dog along and had to consider their needs as well.

Now it was off to a conference for the next two days. But don't be dismayed because things will start to pick up with day 7.

BB

1. An employee lot at the Black Thunder Mine. It looks busy to me.
2. UP 8242 after loading at Black Thunder.
3. DPU on the 8242

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/18 09:47 by bmarti7.

Date: 04/23/18 12:35
Re: Western Vacation Days 2-6
Author: bmarti7

Beautiful Coors Field - one of the things I really miss about Colorado

Date: 04/23/18 12:50
Author: mojaveflyer

It was god to meet you too, Bill! Sounds like you had a successful trip after I saw you...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 04/23/18 15:56
Author: Ritzville

Sounds like an interesting trip Bill. Coors Field looked inviting.

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0619 seconds