Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Western Vacation Day 7

Date: 04/23/18 15:07
Western Vacation Day 7
Author: bmarti7

So the conference is over, and I got my fill of Mexican and Chinese, so off I go (wife stayed in Denver) for some serious train watching. This day I headed north on US-85 to Cheyenne and it didn't take long to see my first train (westbound)which was parked on the main just south of Brighton to keep the crossings open. There was a local working around Ft. Lupton. I never did see that "stealth" train - just heard it on the scanner. I had bigger fish to fry this day so I didn't go hunting for it. North of Greeley I heard scanner activity of an eastbound train switching at Eaton. This turned out to be frac sand cars. Meanwhile the UP 4682 east was holding the main further north. This manifest was very interesting for two reasons: (1) It had EIGHT units [I do not know how many were on line]. (2) Notice the packed snow on the lead 4682. That tells me this train came from North Platte and the remnants of the great Nebraska blizzard of April, 2018. This blizzard caused numerous delays on the UP and BNSF. Amtrak 5 and 6 were delayed significantly and getting relief crews out was very difficult as many highways were closed across Nebraska and northeast Colorado.

So after this action it was off to Cheyenne and 30 cents/gal. cheaper gas (Bob enjoys this all the time). I then headed west on I-80 to Laramie (no trains) and then west on US-30 to Medicine Bow. I only saw one eastbound stacker and he popped out behind a hill. The sun was all wrong so I decided not to reverse course and chase [what a wimp I am]. Then I headed north to Casper and join the BNSF Casper Sub. To my delight the State of Wyoming has built rest areas in the middle of nowhere (not just the interstates) AND and bypass around the west side of Casper (neat).

No trains and no scanner activity all the way to Laurel. Catching a train in the Wind River canyon is on my bucket list but not today. It's a good thing that I didn't wait. The first eastbound down the Casper Sub didn't leave Laurel until midnight. I was staying at the Locomotive Inn, where the BNSF crews rest and play. When those eastbound for Casper came out of the Laurel Yard, they whistled off at a crossing next to the motel. I had the pleasure of hearing and then seeing three BNSF Casper Sub eastbounds overnight. One last thing about this inn - their (included) breakfast offers the usual waffles and other cereals, bagels, etc. BUT they also had a Bob Evans Sausage Gravy Dispenser, and biscuits to pour it on. The look-in fridge offered omelets, bacon and sausage to micro wave. It was by far the BEST lobby breakfast I have ever encountered.

More tomorrow when the action really picks up.

1. The UP 2700 West holds the main south of Brighton, CO
2. The UP 4767 East switches frac sand at Eaton, CO (please excuse the utility poles - there was no way that I could figure how to keep them out of the picture)
3. The UP 4682 East, leader of 8 units, holds north of Ault, CO waiting for the 4767 do finish its work at Eaton

BB

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/18 18:14 by bmarti7.

Date: 04/23/18 15:08
Re: Western Vacation Day 7
Author: bmarti7

4. Close up of the 4682 showing the snow pack

Date: 04/23/18 15:48
Author: mojaveflyer

More good photos Bill... Thanks for sharing!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 04/23/18 16:44
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the pictures and interesting narrative Bill.

Larry

Date: 04/23/18 17:18
Author: santafe199

bmarti7 Wrote: > ... staying at the Locomotive Inn, where the BNSF crews rest ...

After retiring on a medical in 2010 I made return trips back to Laurel for weddings in the summers of both 2011 & 2012. I used to run a dart league and 2 of my younger darters were getting married. I stayed at the Loco both times and I can vouch for the breakfast. That would be The W Railroad St crossing you heard the horns for...

Lance 

Date: 04/24/18 23:17
Author: BNSF-6432

What a consist and picture in #5!

PQM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1245 seconds