Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Nebraska Rail-fanning Question

Date: 04/23/18 19:21
Nebraska Rail-fanning Question
Author: scrimjimmy

With the Chicago & North Western Historical Society Convention in Rapid City in May of this year myself and some friends are heading out to the convention from Wisconsin. We plan on following the BNSF back after the convention starting at Edgemont and working our way down to Alliance then east to Grand Island and points east. Any good places to stop and catch trains? Looking for any info. Thanks in advance.

James Bartelt

James Bartelt
Port Washington, WI
Metro Model Railroad Club, Ltd

Date: 04/23/18 19:39
Re: Nebraska Rail-fanning Question
Author: DKay

Tracks pretty close to the road most of the way from Alliance.Lots of opportunities to set up for photos.We usually stop at Broken Bow for lunch.
Regards,DK

Date: 04/23/18 19:46
Author: WW

This was a number of years ago, but there was (is) a Rodeway Inn hotel (I think it's named something else now) in tiny Thedford, Nebraska where I stayed. Back then, the motel was near new and not a bad place--I don't know what it's like now. I could watch the trains right out of the motel room window. There was a restaurant next door--The Sandhills Corral--where I had one of the best (and biggest) hunks of prime rib that I've ever eaten. Reasonably priced, too.

As an aside, on that day over 20 years ago, the college-age desk clerk at the motel, a local rancher's daughter, was one of the most beautiful women that I ever saw, before or since, and just as sweet as she was beautiful. I don't remember how many trains I saw in Thedford that day and evening, but I sure remember her . . .

Date: 04/23/18 20:21
Author: fbe

South, east of Edgemont follow the dirt roads to Igloo, Provo, Rumford, Ardmore, Orella, Horn, Crawford, Belmont, Hemingford, Nida and Alliance.

Enjoy the history and the drive. Start with a full tank of gas and drinking water.

Date: 04/24/18 09:58
Author: callum_out

The term "dirt road" while correct doesn't really relate to the fact that the road would be
a freeway if it were paved! Might be a bit sloppy in the rain but really worth the drive plus
it turns to pavement shortly.

Out

Date: 04/24/18 12:47
Author: fbe

If the trains are slow west of Crawford and you like badlands topography there is always Toadstool State Park to check out along with a nearby buffalo jump if you have never visited one of those before.

Date: 04/26/18 01:22
Author: brc600

UP and BNSF are ramping up hiring in Western Nebraska, with incentive bonuses. If you know anyone who wants a RR job, NOW is the time.

scrimjimmy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the Chicago & North Western Historical
> Society Convention in Rapid City in May of this
> year myself and some friends are heading out to
> the convention from Wisconsin. We plan on
> following the BNSF back after the convention
> starting at Edgemont and working our way down to
> Alliance then east to Grand Island and points
> east. Any good places to stop and catch trains?
> Looking for any info. Thanks in advance.
>
> James Bartelt

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds