Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Oly unit in local service

Date: 05/21/18 12:37
UP Oly unit in local service
Author: santafe199

In a surprise move Uncle Pete sent his Olympic heritage unit over my home KP turf on the Junction City local, aka ‘MTPTP’. Despite the lousy weather I felt honor-bound to show my appreciation. I tore myself away from the scanner to go give chase. Details follow in the captions:

1. & 2. UP 2002, the Salt Lake City ’02 Heritage unit is done with station work and is backing onto train MTPTP in Belvue, KS. The ‘TPTP’ is a local train working between its home base of Topeka & Junction City. In image #2 you can spot a crewman walking up after getting the train & air coupled up at the Anderson Ave crossing.

3. The 2002 + entourage has just crossed the Vermillion River at its confluence with the Kansas River east of Wamego, KS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/18 16:13 by santafe199.

Date: 05/21/18 12:39
Re: UP Oly unit in local service

4. I couldn’t resist a couple of pan shots while driving along the original US hwy 24, now just a secondary backroad called ‘Military Trail Rd’. I’m closer to, but still east of Wamego. The train is slowing down for some more station work.

5. & 6. The local has stopped to clear the Ash St crossing in downtown Wamego, and is picking up an empty flat.

Date: 05/21/18 12:40

7. The consist is back on its train performing the required air test. That headlight back yonder is a sand train holding back of the Dutch Mill Rd crossing near the east end of the siding on the east side of Wamego.

8. & 9. With telephoto & wide angle we see the TPTP approaching my vantage point at the Railway Rd crossing (no foolin’!) east of St George, KS. It looks like Mother Nature has all but reclaimed that ancient wind mill on the left!

At this point I broke off from my chase of the 2002 and picked up a chase of the sand train.
(9 photos taken May 20, 2018)

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 05/21/18 13:02
Author: wigwag

I like that last pic with the windmill. That unit really stands out even on a cloudy day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/18 13:03 by wigwag.

Date: 05/21/18 13:05
Author: stevelv

You did well Lance with a bad hand dealt by mother nature. I really like number 1.
Steve B.

Date: 05/21/18 13:29
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 05/21/18 13:49
Author: retcsxcfm

Lance,
I agree,number one is best.I love the
"Home Town" feeling.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/21/18 13:56
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE series!

Larry

Date: 05/21/18 14:17
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 05/21/18 14:58
Author: jtwlunch

Lance,

Nice sequence of shots.

Date: 05/21/18 19:28
Author: GP30Frank

I hope the paint job will last as long as the original one did .

Date: 05/22/18 06:06
Author: oklachaser

Great photos Lance.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 05/22/18 07:59
Author: ntharalson

Must have been a traumatic experience, tearing yourself away from the scanner for a UP train! LOL

Nice stuff, Lance, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds