Home Open Account Help 289 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Never seen this on the Siskiyou line.

Date: 06/02/18 13:05
Never seen this on the Siskiyou line.
Author: ts97504

Well it's here in Medford ! Leader UP7360 with 7368, 7382 and SD70 4036 following. I'm thinking this is the first time Medford has seen modern big power ? I have photos on my iPhone so i will work on that.

Date: 06/02/18 13:07
Re: Never seen this on the Siskiyou line.
Author: TCnR

Was this NB or SB?

tia.

Date: 06/02/18 14:30
Author: ble692

That was the MRVPW 27, which shows as being interchanged to the CORP at Black Butte on the afternoon of 5/31/18.

Date: 06/02/18 14:49
Author: EsPee1229

UP power is run SB from Springfield Junction to Winchester yard (Roseburg) and can get as far south as Dillard. I don't think anything on the north end of the line goes south of Dillard.

Date: 06/02/18 15:54
Author: TonyJ

During the last of the Espee days Medford saw SD70Ms and Dash 9-44CWs.

Date: 06/02/18 15:55
Author: funnelfan

Just need to put together a set of all radial truck SD70's for that run over the Siskiyou line. I believe SP took SD70M's all the way to Medford from Eugene before selling the line to CORP.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/18 15:57 by funnelfan.

Date: 06/02/18 15:59

The photo that I saw showed the UP power was not GEVO or ACe, meaning the radiator section was not very large, in width or hieghth. I'm guessing that's why it fit through the Siskiyou tunnels.

The story goes it's not the summit tunnel but the curved tunnels in the northern horseshoe area that have the clearance issue, causing an issue with length going around the curve, that translates into the hieghth and width. I've never been able to get into that area, certainly not the tunnel.

+ agree, the narrow radiator SD70's should be no issue. The front corners of the wide nose are even beveled. Didn't know about the late model SP stuff making it through the tunnel. The Medford RF's have better info than down here in Dunsmuir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/18 16:03 by TCnR.

Date: 06/02/18 16:46
Re: Siskiyou line
Author: timz

In SP days, Rwy Line Clearances showed
one of the Cow Creek tunnels as the
most restrictive-- for height, anyway.

Date: 06/02/18 17:43
Author: ts97504

I don't think the flared radiators get much larger than a AC45CCTE #7382 has do they ? I remember SD70's of SP here but that's it for me.

Date: 06/02/18 20:17
Author: beefnlee

Can anyone post some photos? thank you

Date: 06/02/18 21:15

beefnlee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone post some photos? thank you

None of us have photos. Rumor is there's some on Facebook, no idea where.

Date: 06/02/18 22:13
Author: JGFuller

Pix and videos on the Facebook page "CORP fan".

Date: 06/03/18 21:17
Author: Railbaron

So what's the status on this MRVPW? The last post about it says it made it to Medford and nobody has updated anything since then. Is it still there? Is it moving north? Anybody have any news?

Date: 06/03/18 21:46
Author: ActionMike

It is currently moving north from Medford to Roseburg. Not sure what the plan is from there.

Date: 06/03/18 21:51
Author: czuleget

I joined the face book page and saw the video of the train passing through town today. South bound. Not sure.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/18 21:53 by czuleget.

Date: 06/03/18 21:51

ActionMike Wrote:
> It is currently moving north from Medford to Roseburg. Not sure what the plan is from there.

Thank you.

Date: 06/03/18 21:56
Author: ActionMike

czuleget Wrote:
> I joined the face book page and saw the video of
> the train passing through town today. South bound.
> Not sure.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Up 7360 is NORTHbound and approaching Gold Hill at 9 pm tonight.

Date: 06/04/18 11:53
Author: Coalca

If this train indeed came from black butte with its power intact, that would mean locomotives with larger radiators can fit through the tunnels.?. In the past it’s been reported that SP SD45’s would occasionally scrape. The UP 73** series have much larger radiators

Date: 06/04/18 12:03

Coalca Wrote:
> If this train indeed came from black butte with its power intact, that would mean locomotives with
> larger radiators can fit through the tunnels.?. In the past it’s been reported that SP SD45’s
> would occasionally scrape. The UP 73** series have much larger radiators

I don't know about scrapping but I can tell you from personal experience tunnel clearances were tight for SD45's, especially in one curved tunnel (don't remember the number) in Cow Creek Canyon that I was always surprised the cab didn't hit the portal.

I'd also be quite curious about hi-cube cars making it through the entire route as SP had restrictions on that type of car, although there was a series of KCS "excess height" cars that could be operated from Eugene to Medford.

This brings up a question: is the high car detector at Hilt still in operation? For that matter, is the one between Cornutt and Riddle still in operation also (wouldn't matter to a northward train).

Date: 06/06/18 16:41

Railbaron Wrote:
> Coalca Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> This brings up a question: is the high car
> detector at Hilt still in operation?

It's still standing as of this morning. Nice bright silver paint. Not sure if it works or not.

There's also one just north of Dunsmuir that I hear about on the radio occasionally. They may have taken it out but not really sure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0747 seconds