Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Nampa Sub - Super Stacker

Date: 06/15/18 17:00
UP Nampa Sub - Super Stacker
Author: philhoov

For unknown reasons, this EB stacker was held in the UP Nampa Yard for more than an hour this afternoon after the crew boarded and announced they were ready to go.
DSP3 confirmed their length at 10,314', which probably limited options for meets and siding lengths.
Led by UP #7289, with three motors up front and two mid-train helpers, it was moving briskly as it finally left the yard.
And, I got a nice double horn salute from the crew too!
----------
Earlier in the afternoon, I saw a crew tying down another EB stacker on Main #2, a few miles farther east.
That crew boarded a crew van and headed toward Nampa.
The Nampa Yard wasn't congested, which made me wonder why UP would tie a train down on the bi-directional main between Nampa and Kuna.
The train in the video ran around the parked stacker on its way to Kuna.
I also missed a WB stacker that somehow got by the detector at MP 443.1 east of Kuna and snuck up on me.
This is the first time I've ever encountered three stackers in 2-3 hours around here!
----------
Does anyone know if this is one of the Cascade Tunnel reroutes?
Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/18 17:30 by philhoov.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/15/18 21:13
Re: UP Nampa Sub - Super Stacker
Author: fresno

Not a reroute but old reliable, the KPDG2. That is one of the bigger trains I have heard of running on the OSL in recent weeks, and not much domestic business on there, either. The rerouting LA-Portland I/Z trains should have some trailers on board, in addition to the domestic boxes, but not much in the way of marine boxes.

Thanks for the Nampa/Kuna video.

Date: 06/16/18 06:00

UP has been running some big "no fitter" manifests lately.
I was able to capture one with 719 axles just east of Glenns Ferry, Idaho on and posted about it here:
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4563014,4563014#msg-4563014
A maintenance worker told me that five of them had gone through that day, wreaking havoc with their ability to get track and time.
Phil

Date: 06/16/18 06:03

The parked EB stacker I mentioned in my post must have been a reroute then.
It had a number of Knight TOFC loads on it.
Still can't figure out why they parked it on the bi-directional double main west of Kuna when the crew apparently died on the clock.
The yard wasn't congested at the time.
Phil

Date: 06/16/18 09:15
Author: HogheadMike

Hey! I saw you. I thought about stepping out the back door and waving and I definitely should have......could have actually been famous lol. We couldn't really figure out why they chose to call us on the KPDG2 first, running us around that reroute train (ZBRLCD) which was parked on main two. We ended up staying ahead of that train all the way to Pocatello. It was a fairly decent trip with minimal delays by other trains. The only major delays were for maintenance of way at Fuller (just east of Bliss) The reroute trains really stick out like a sore thumb. They have lots of trucks and containers that we really don't see on the OSL. If you see a train with Knight Refrigerated and Knight Transportation trucks onboard, it's NOT a normal OSL train.

Date: 06/16/18 09:50

I wondered if that might have been you, given the enthusiastic double horn salutes!
Last time I caught you, it was at the Eagle Road crossing with that salad shooter a couple of years ago!
----------
That parked reroute train on Main #2 really puzzled me.
I got on scene as the crew was leaving in the van.
Then, I went into Nampa to check the yard and it appeared that there was plenty of room to park it in the yard.
I saw you guys turn on your headlights, so I beat it back to Robinson Road, then waited for an hour or more until you pulled out of the yard.
Why did DSP3 hold you in the Nampa Yard so long ~ was it due to your length and oncoming WB traffic?
Good to hear from you again!
Phil

Date: 06/16/18 10:03

Good to hear from you again too. We were on main one in front of the depot and there was a westbound sitting on main one just east of the crossovers at N456. They had to wait for a local coming from caldwell to come eastbound up two and tuck away into the hand throw crossovers in front of the depot before they could crossover to two and get out of our way.

Date: 06/16/18 10:11

Now I understand.
That WB stacker was the one that snuck up on me.
I saw it as it came into the yard after seeing you guys board and turn on your headlight.
For some reason, I didn't hear it when it passed the 443.1 detector.
Is that detector, by chance, now talking only on defects?
Maybe I was just out of range while I was near the yard.
Phil

Date: 06/16/18 10:20

No, 443 still talks. It broadcasts on AAR channel 42-42, whereas the yard broadcasts on 38-38.

Date: 06/16/18 10:24

I hear it on 160.74 on my scanner.
Phil

Date: 06/16/18 10:33

Yes, that is the correct channel for the road and the detector. If you want to hear the yard too, set to also hear 160.68 (AAR 38-38)

Date: 06/16/18 16:38

Caught two obvious EB Cascade Tunnel reroute stackers with TOFC, plus a WB manifest this afternoon.
Phil

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds