Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Help updating the UP in the Southwest

Date: 07/03/18 18:20
Help updating the UP in the Southwest
Author: FriscoKid

I'm incredibly lucky. I make much of my living working with 1:1 scale railroad models, but sometimes finding the necessary information is pretty frustrating. As part of a project, I need to update route-segment characteristics for both BNSF and UP. Precision isn't important, but getting the overall picture right is. So far, BNSF has been a cakewalk. Their subdivision map aligns perfectly with readily available and fairly current track charts. UP, on the other hand is much more of a challenge. Available info is older and much less user friendly.. Still I'm grinding my way through. I have three questions that I'd love help with -

1. How much of the Colton to El Paso segment is still single track? The latest I can find suggests that it's less than 100 miles.
2. Has the UP moved forward with plans to double-track portions of the Tucumcari line or the line to Fort Worth?
3. While it creates a LOT of capacity through dispatching, Is there any reason to think that double-tracking improves free-flowing maximum train speeds? 

I can't think of anyplace other than TO that I could or would rather turn to for help.
Many thanks,
Mark

Date: 07/03/18 18:55
Re: Help updating the UP in the Southwest
Author: jgilmore

FriscoKid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. Has the UP moved forward with plans to
> double-track portions of the Tucumcari line or the
> line to Fort Worth?

I lived alongside the Baird Sub for years until recently, and it is much busier than years ago, but I haven't seen anything official about double-tracking between El Paso and FW. Besides, I don't think there really is a need for it, with 20-25 trains a day on the line. There may be some tweaks here and there, sidings lengthened, etc., but double tracking usually doesn't get talked about until there's 40-plus trains a day in most cases. Even adding trains from San Antonio at Sierra Blanca only gives the route 30-35/day to EP. In fact, that segment would be the only part of any lines east of EP that I think UP would double track one day, but probably not anytime soon.

JG

Date: 07/03/18 20:18
Author: gonx

One area that needs capacity improvement is around the San Antonio area. Too many trains and not enough yard leads to get everything moving. A lot of traffic is heading towards Eagle Pass and Laredo.

Date: 07/04/18 19:20
Author: bradleymckay

The only thing I know for sure is UP plans to add several sidings and lengthen a few others on the Baird Sub between Ft. Worth and Sweetwater, just not 100% sure when.  As far as I know the majority of the work is planned for 2019.  UP has spent the better part of the last 15 months replacing ties and rail on both the Baird and Toyah Subs.

On the ex-SP Sunset route it is still mostly single track from about Niland, CA to Araz (west of Yuma) and from about Maricopa to Yuma, with a few exceptions (near Mohawk).  Somebody else can be more specific.  From what I know the plan to add a second main track from near Wellton to Mohawk has been taken off the wish list.

Allen

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/18 19:30 by bradleymckay.

Date: 07/04/18 23:10
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Single Track along the Gila Sub:  West to East.

SP 738 East Yard to SP 743 Fortuna

SP 747 Blaisdell to SP 753 Dome
 - Siding #1 SP 749 Kinter W, SP 751 Kinter E

SP 771 Wellton to SP 783 Colfred W
- Siding #1 SP 776 Noah W, SP 777 Noah E

SP 796 Mohawk to SP 819 Stanwix
- Siding #1 SP 800 Stoval W, SP 802 Stoval E
- Siding #2 SP 811 AZTecW, SP 812 AZTec E (SearchLights are gone at SP 812)

SP 831 Sentinel to SP 876 Estrella
- Siding #1 SP 839 Piedra W, SP 841 Piedra
- Siding #2 SP 845 Theba W, SP 847 Theba E
- Siding #3 SP 854 Gila Bend W, SP 857 Gila Bend E
- Siding #4 SP 862 Bosque E, SP 864 Bosque E
- Siding #5 SP 869 Shawmut W, SP 870 Shawmut E

Hope this helps! 

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 07/05/18 19:52
Author: FriscoKid

This is wonderful; it's perfect. Thank you SO much.

MLB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds