Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Engineering Special in Illinois

Date: 07/15/18 19:17
UP Engineering Special in Illinois
Author: kevink

I headed out this morning to see the UP engineering special that departed UP's Proviso Yard west of Chicago and headed to Wisconsin via the UP Milwaukee Sub. I headed to Des Plaines and check the River Road (US 45) crossing but found a large trash container parked in way. I head over to the next crossing west, Rand Road and spied a headlight. Parking quickly, I lined up a shot only to find it wa a northbound coal load led by UP 6584. 

I did not like the lihjting or the angle at Rand Road so I gambled and drove to the other side of Des Plaines and into Mt. Prospect. There's a small business park on the east side of the tracks at Howard Street where I found a good angle. After about 15 minutes of waiting, I heard horns from the south as a train approached the Touhy Avenue crossing. A couple of minutes later, I was rewarded with UP 2666 rounding the curve with  its 8 car train.

Date: 07/15/18 19:17
Re: UP Engineering Special in Illinois

Third through fifth cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/18 19:19 by kevink.

Date: 07/15/18 19:18

Sixth through eighth cars

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/18 19:21 by kevink.

Date: 07/15/18 20:00
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots of the train. Note UPP 207 power car is 5 axle---always seems funny to hear a detector call out an odd number 
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/16/18 09:07
Author: ntharalson

I know the Fox River is an ex-CNW car, but isn't the Lake Forest also?  I believe these were the only CNW cars the UP
kept, selling the rest, I believe.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 07/16/18 17:09
Author: dan

another lake car for two lake cars    1965 kcs iirc

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds