Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > How much work is at UP Oakland CA Terminal?

Date: 07/19/18 09:36
How much work is at UP Oakland CA Terminal?
Author: coast_to_coast

UP is hiring in Oakland.  I'd like detailed info on what this terminal is like and also other Bay Area terminals (Roseville, Martinez).

How many boards/pools are at each terminal, what are the pools like?, average annual salary based on seniority, what hiring/furloughs are looking like that those terminals, how many people work at these terminals, which would be best to qualify at.  

How easy it would be for me to transfer to Roseville?  And how soon could I?

They're hiring in Martinez, but I imagine hiring in a smaller terminal wouldn't be a good idea, am I right? The ideal terminal would have yard, local, short/long pool work to choose from, so I could bounce around based on what works best for my life at the moment (more money or more time at home). 

[I'm already a CO for NS and have lived in Oakland, so I don't need help with that]

Date: 07/19/18 18:33
Re: How much work is at UP Oakland CA Terminal?
Author: callum_out

They're hiring in Martinez? Major hub, zero pool jobs! Love the UP, hires in Salt Lake and immediately after training sends you
to Yuma. Be interested to hear the rest of the story on the Martinez hire point.

Out

Date: 07/20/18 18:57
Re: How much work is at UP Oakland CA Terminal?
Author: Amtrak_Julie

Hiring notices for Oakland, Martinez, Fresno, even Dunsmuir don't mean anything. It is all part of the Roseville Service Unit. My understanding is that the stated location (MTZ) "may be" because the training department will hold class there, but not necesarily. After all your training (starting out with classroom,then to yard jobs, then back to class, then to the road jobs, then final class and RCO training) can be held wherever it will work for the instructor. After you successfully complete your traininig and check ride, you will have a 48 hour bump to get a job; providing they've not started to furlough people. Oakland is the lowest seniority and usually if there's slots available you can work there, but the cost of living is sky high. If you are a successfull candidate you will be able to talk to different people to get cut in on the "rules of the rails". Salary will probably settle down to some semblance of order in a couple years, maybe less if this hiring streak still continues, but nothing is guaranteed. Good luck.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0327 seconds