Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > North and South Dakota Railfanning Info Needed

Date: 07/20/18 14:34
North and South Dakota Railfanning Info Needed
Author: ACR_Ted

I am thinking about heading to the Dakotas in about a month and I am wondering what the traffic and train operations are like up there. I've never been in that area so it will be all new to me.

I am mainly after short lines but all info is welcome. I've not found much at all on the internet...

Thanks!

Ted

Date: 07/20/18 15:28
Re: North and South Dakota Railfanning Info Needed
Author: wko

I don't know if it's your thing, but last week me and a freind visited the Black Hills Central tourist railroad; it's a neat little operation. Their site: https://www.1880train.com/ They've got the only operational Mallet Tank engine in the world, their Keystone station is only a few minutes from Mount Rushmore, and a specialty for this time of year is that in the Black Hills, the orange cones are in full bloom! But seriously, it's a neat little 45-minute ride (one way), and plenty of chasing opportunities before/after you ride on the paralleling Old Hill City Road.
~wko

Date: 07/20/18 16:32
Author: Griggs

ACR_Ted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I am wondering what the traffic and train operations are like up there...I am mainly after short lines...
>
Can't help with traffic, operations or short lines, but I can recommend locations.

If you're in the eastern part I suggest Fargo, N. Dak. & Moorhead, Minn.  BNSF has main lines coming in from the west, northwest and north on the westside of the Red River on the border, and coming in from the south and east on the east side.  Also on the Minn. side is a big yard in Dilworth.  TO members "dilworth" and "bmarti7" have posted good stuff from this area.

Big BNSF trestle over the Sheyenne River (and CP/Soo Line main) at Valley City. Another trestle north up the river valley between Hannaford and Luverne.  Don't know if it's accessable; it barely was when I visited it as a kid many years ago.  We called it the Karnak High Bridge.

Date: 07/20/18 19:38
Author: wpjones

The guys at Niles Canyon would probably take issue with your statement about the BHCRR 110 being the only opperational tank Mallet . There Clover Valley mallet is very similar to the 110 and unless someting has changed is also opperational.
Steve

wko Wrote:
> I don't know if it's your thing, but last week me
> and a freind visited the Black Hills Central
> tourist railroad; it's a neat little operation.
> Their site: https://www.1880train.com/ They've got
> the only operational Mallet Tank engine in the
> world, their Keystone station is only a few
> minutes from Mount Rushmore, and a specialty for
> this time of year is that in the Black Hills, the
> orange cones are in full bloom! But seriously,
> it's a neat little 45-minute ride (one way), and
> plenty of chasing opportunities before/after you
> ride on the paralleling Old Hill City Road.
> ~wko

Date: 07/21/18 04:51
Author: wko

wpjones Wrote:
> The guys at Niles Canyon would probably take issue
> with your statement about the BHCRR 110 being the
> only opperational tank Mallet . There Clover
> Valley mallet is very similar to the 110 and
> unless someting has changed is also opperational.
> Steve
>
>

Thanks for that additional info! I had heard that while we were up there, but I don't remember who said it, plus I did no research and took them for their word.
~wko

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/18 10:15
Author: Milwaukee

Huron, SD has a roundhouse and turntable with interesting older power always around.  Chamberlain, SD has a former DDA40X and other rare inoperable power stored there.   1880 Town off I-90 has a former MILW FP7 and some old passenger cars present.  

Date: 07/21/18 18:49
Author: pdt

Sioux Falls SD...  D&I, E&E, BNSF (old GN)  all come thru town together down by the river.  It used to be a have for older BNSF power. BN and SF units were common, plus end cab switchers and cabooses for locals.  D&I's operation has alwys been a mystery to me.  Maybe someone knows.  E&E used to operste in the AM, but IDK anymore.

Bismark ND...old NP main. DMVW come into town on old SOO track. HQ and engine shop there.  Last I was there the show ppl were friendly, and they had CNW torpedo GP-35's.   Now their roster is huge with ex CN SD-50F barns, GP-40w's, and various sd-45/40's. Dont know if the GP-35's are still active...

Date: 07/22/18 08:43
Author: SD45X

Red River Valley &Western in ND.
Northern Plains in ND.
Rapid City Pierre&Eastern in SD.

Date: 07/23/18 21:30
Author: ACR_Ted

Thanks everyone for the info! It has helped a lot for planning the trip.

Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0735 seconds