Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 2 Year Anniversary of the Blue Cut Wildfire, Cajon Pass, CA

Date: 08/16/18 21:51
2 Year Anniversary of the Blue Cut Wildfire, Cajon Pass, CA
Author: MrMRL

Here's a link to what became the main Trainorders topic on the subject from August 16, 2016, over 100 replies and over 9,000 views. Interesting re-read.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4099205

I drove through the pass earlier today chasing monsoon thunderstorms through the Mojave Desert. Hard to believe it's been two years already.

A couple screen grabs below from the ABC7 HD choper feed during the fire which eventually spread to over 37,000 acres and closed off nearly all off-hwy access to the pass for a year.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 08/17/18 08:08
Re: 2 Year Anniversary of the Blue Cut Wildfire, Cajon Pass, CA
Author: ntharalson

Thanks, Robbie, for the reminder and the link which did make for interesting reading.  Did they ever pinpoint
the cause of the fire?

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 08/17/18 08:47
Author: the_expediter

No Traffic on I-15, of course...Sullivan Curve is just above smoke on right side center...Not sure of cause but friend Oldporter and I had reservations on #4 for Aug.17, Wed...to Galesburg IL...we were unsure if #4 would be annulled that day, but luckily for us we were sent up old SP Saugus Line through Glendale, Burbank,Newhall, Mojave, and down to Barstow on ATSF old Mojave sub...Rare Milage ...I was disappointed at the time since I hadn't ridden over Cajon Pass in 20? Years, but it turned out being Great !...think we about an hr. Late into Galesburg...Steve

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/18 09:05 by the_expediter.

Date: 08/17/18 12:18
Author: PHall

Went through there yesterday. Yes there's been a lot of regrowth, but you can plainly see the burn areas.
But that's the nature of the brush and trees that grow here, they actually need a fire every now and then to keep things healthy.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds