Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Simpson Railroad High Bridges

Date: 09/03/18 23:52
Simpson Railroad High Bridges
Author: DelMonteX

If you have 5 minutes or so, take a look a the highest railroad bridge in America. The High Steel Bridge (or South Fork Bridge) just a few miles north west of Shelton WA. Along with the somewhat lower but maybe better known Vance Creek bridge. 

If you can, watch it in 4k via this link:    
https://vimeo.com/288101693

Both were completed in 1929 by the American Bridge company. The High Steel Bridge is either 365' high (by many good sources) or 420' high according to the U.S. Forestry service. 750 tons of steel and 685 feet long. It saw it's last train in 1947 and in 1950 was converted to a road bridge (FS2340). This bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places. 

The Vance Creek bridge is 347' high and 800' long. It saw train service much longer than it's taller sibling (1970's) and was placed on the National Register of Historic places in 1982. It now serves as the text book example of an attractive nuisance. It's owner Green Diamond Resources, removed some of the ties on the north end to prevent (reduce) the number of people trying to walk and climb the bridge. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/04/18 00:11
Re: Simpson Railroad High Bridges
Author: BoostedFridge

I enjoyed that new perspective that your drone provides.  Thanks for sharing!

Date: 09/04/18 04:17
Author: cozephyr

Well done!  Love the drone angles.  Surprised to see Vance Creek Bridge still had rails on the bridge.

Keep your drone flying, Steve!

Date: 09/04/18 07:08
Author: HH

Is that somebody (in a red shirt, lower left corner, about 3:07) standing in the center of the Vance Creek Bridge?
That wasn't you, was it Steve?

HH

Date: 09/04/18 08:48
Author: Steamman

Absolutely beautiful Steve - really enjoyed the video.   TomE

Date: 09/04/18 12:35

It is somebody, but it's not me.  I wouldn't be caught dead on that bridge, because if I was stupid enough to go out on it, I'd be caught dead at the bottom. 

There were several people climbing it.  One young lady had the enough sense to resist the encouragment from her boyfriend and declined to go anyfurther than the concrete abutment. 

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that somebody (in a red shirt, lower left
> corner, about 3:07) standing in the center of the
> Vance Creek Bridge?
> That wasn't you, was it Steve?
>
> HH

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 09/04/18 13:14
Author: loleta

It's an incredibly attractive nuisance; I've been there twice!

- L.F.

Date: 09/04/18 15:02
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the interesting video!!

Date: 09/04/18 17:09
Author: pummer

Awesome bridges - great drone usage!  Minor point: the date listed in the opening is my birthday - which is NEXT week. :)

Date: 09/04/18 19:50

pummer:
-------------------------------------------------------
Awesome bridges - great drone usage!  Minor point: the date listed in the opening is my birthday - which is NEXT week. :)

Well you caught it, but sorry, you weren't the first, so no prize for you!

It takes about 30 minutes for my computer to generate the 4k version of that, plus the upload time.   But I guess I should fix it. 

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 09/06/18 14:01
Author: retnkxe9

WOW!!!!  I'm sitting here with my jaw just hanging open.  The music doesn't hurt, either...

John T. Tilton
Poway Ca

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds