Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > RIP John Gruber

Date: 10/11/18 04:24
RIP John Gruber
Author: utwazoo

John Gruber, noted photographer, historian and founder of the Center for Railroad Photography & Art,  passed away October 9 at age 82.  His greatest legacy is the CRP&A,  which is preserving/archiving many  great rail photographers' work, including Plowden, Parker Lamb, Shaunghnessy, Hand, and many others.  RIP John.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/18 07:51 by utwazoo.

Date: 10/11/18 04:56
Re: RIP John Gruber
Author: KB5WK

Date: 10/11/18 05:18
Author: Bob3985

May John RIP on his final journey with straight rails and clear blocks.
We at the UPHS have worked with the Center with photos used in our publication.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/11/18 06:11
Author: LiveWire2

Date: 10/11/18 06:30
Author: cozephyr

Thanks to John Gruber for all his contributions to sharing rail photography.  He'll be sorely missed.  His efforts with the Center for Railroad Photography & Art were impressive.  Glad I had the opportunity to visit with him at Lake Forest, IL, in 2018.

Date: 10/11/18 07:37
Author: santafe199

I regret that I never had the honor of meeting the man. But like many others I have certainly benefited from his contributions to this great hobby. 
Highball, John. Clear signals...

Date: 10/11/18 12:14
Author: alamedafrank

What a loss! He was in California three weeks ago for an exhibt of pictures at CSRR in Sacramento and we were to have lunch in Palm Springs on Sept 24th; he called a few days early and said he was called home unexpectedly. He was delighted  with the reception of his newest book on Beebe and Clegg and said it was already in it's second printing, he was very pleased about that. What a sad example of our not knowing the day or hour of our death. Frank

Date: 10/11/18 14:00
Author: SR2

Another icon has passed.  Rest in Peace, John, and may Perpetual Light shine upon you.
SR2

Date: 10/11/18 20:18
Author: RuleG

My condolences to his family and friends.

I never met John Gruber, but I knew his son Richard who was in a class with me at the University of Wisconsin.

Date: 10/11/18 21:59
Author: Evan_Werkema

Having just seen Mr. Gruber at the Beebe & Clegg exhibit at the California State Railroad Museum less than a month ago, it is indeed shocking and saddening to hear of his passing.  His legacy will live on through his body of work and the center he founded, which from all appearances is in good hands and doing fine work. 

Date: 10/12/18 06:50
Author: cozephyr

Great to see John Gruber with (left) Mel Patrick.

Date: 10/12/18 21:33
Author: kilroydiver

How very sad to hear. I saw him and John Ryan at CSRM back in May, when they first gave their presentation on their Beebe and Clegg after. After the presentation, the three of us, along with Ted Benson and his friend had an enjoyable lunch together, talking about all kinds of railroad history. 

Enjoy the good days with friends, they may sadly be gone the next.

Dave 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0571 seconds