Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Heads up I5 corridor

Date: 10/15/18 20:53
Heads up I5 corridor
Author: CBRL

There is a very long oil train that was getting put together earlier today in the yard at Eugene.  There are not one but two mid-train sets of DPUs with a CP unit on the rear.  The lead unit was a UP C44 type and there was another CP unit in the head end consist.  They will likely be heading south sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 10/15/18 22:05
Re: Heads up I5 corridor
Author: TCnR

That would be unusual for the UPRR these days, we'll have to see how it plays out. If it's loads they would need lots of horsepower just to get over Cascade Summit. Maybe change things around at KF.

Thanks for the heads up, we'll see what happens.

Date: 10/16/18 06:12
Author: Railbaron

Sounds like a normal configuration of those type of trains out of Eugene. The part that's rare (IMHO) is that it's an "oil" train as it's been a long time since they're run one of those; it's usually grain that's configured like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/18 06:15 by Railbaron.

Date: 10/16/18 06:45

I will head out this morning and see if it is still there.  Grain trains come in now and then but oil trains are very spotty - I have not seen one except on video.  Wish I knew a spot to shoot the train that would show its length but there are too many dang trees in the way!

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 10/16/18 06:48
Author: Railbaron

CBRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... there are too many dang trees in the way!

Be thankful - this is Oregon. BTW, Dougren would be a possibility.

Date: 10/16/18 07:06
Author: ross

Headed to Bakersfield. Per UP engineer

Date: 10/16/18 10:13

Oil train now gone this morning and some talk about routing trains around track work in the Cascades, so it may be up on the hill. 

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 10/16/18 11:44
Author: TCnR

Just heard yesterday about more tunnel 11 work, apparently they are lowering the floor this time. Something like 10 hour windows, which is consistent with the traffic pattern through Dunsmuir.

Date: 10/16/18 12:16
Author: coast_to_coast

Do you know how long this work is scheduled to take?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds