Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Where, oh where are my Belles?

Date: 10/18/18 04:49
Where, oh where are my Belles?
Author: santafe199

Confucius (might as well) say: railfan gods giveth… and railfans gods taketh away…

1. Acting on a hot tip I grabbed the cameras and made to 35 minute dash down to the old Rock Island GSR. OK, so it was only 29 minutes. Considering the OS time at Menoken I HAD to step up my highway 177 pace a bit. It was gonna be touch & go if I could get down here in time to get this dandy shot of a pair of KCS Belles leading a westbound UP manifest down the GSR roller-coaster. Turns out, my haste was waste: The Belles were late to the party. REAL late. At 6:33 PM, with perfect golden lighting, I’m standing alone. I was stood up at the 1700 Rd crossing altar looking east (in vain) for those KCS ladies.

Date: 10/18/18 04:50
Re: Where, oh where are my Belles?

All-righty, then! I see what’s going on here. No BellesThat’s OK, I’m easy going. I’ll just look the other way and settle for yet another Land of OZ sunset glint sequence. Whuddya mean no? I’m sure Uncle Pete has something he can send east. He usually does that ALL the time this time of the day: He’ll send out more backlit eastbound trains than you can shake telephoto lens at. No?!! Sheesh, does that mean NO?

2. At 6:38 PM I’m looking west from the 1700 Rd crossing. I’m hoping an eastbound shows up pretty quick! Something. Any ol’ train at all……… anything???

Date: 10/18/18 04:53
Author: Bob3985

I like your first photo Lance. That really accentuates the roller coaster hills on the GSR.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 10/18/18 04:54

The railfan gods had no intention to giveth this time either:

3. (6:48 PM) & 4 (7:02 PM). I digress. I know when I’m beat. I’ll just go home now…
(4 digital mis-fires taken October 3, 2018 west of Dwight, KS)

Thanks, anyway…
Lance Garrels
santafe199

PS: Of course my Bonny Belles were eventually spotted. It was nearly dark and I was re-entering Dwight on the back road when those jilting dames flashed through town! With a teasing horn honk…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/18 04:59 by santafe199.

Date: 10/18/18 07:58
Author: ntharalson

The same place my "Belles" are at . . .invisible to the naked eye!  LOL  

Nice stuff Lance, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 10/18/18 08:46
Author: bmarti7

Nice story Lance. Would that area be considered in the Flint Hills? Are those thunderbumpers in October?

BB

Date: 10/18/18 10:08
Author: robj

How do you always get those great skies?

Bob

Date: 10/18/18 10:20
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the enjoyable story and great cloud pictures with the glimmering rails.

Larry

Date: 10/18/18 10:28
Author: SeaboardMan

robj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you always get those great skies?
>
> Bob
in order for the ranchers in Colorado to sell their cows as "Prime", they run them around in circles to burn off the fat.  It's the dust in the atmosphere that gives Lance those great sunsets.  Since the cows only run around in the daytime, you don't get the glorious sky's for morning shots.

This is info is from a fan called somewhat99.  True
john

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0503 seconds