Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > WA state carbon tax defeated

Date: 11/08/18 11:14
WA state carbon tax defeated
Author: Lackawanna484

as was a [second] tax on pipeline products, mostly oil and gas, brought into the state.

The vote wasn't close, over 56% opposed the [carbon] tax

Posted from Android

[Edited for improved clarity]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/18 14:04 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 11/08/18 11:24
Re: WA state carbon tax defeated
Author: TAW

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as was a tax on pipeline products, mostly oil and
> gas, brought into the state.
>
> The vote wasn't close, over 56% opposed the tax
>

Such percentages are virtuallly irrelevant any more. Big corporate money, no, HUGE corporate money invaded the state to successfully buy the election. I live in a district of about 120,000 people. My (pro rail transportation) state senator was defeated by a corporate (oil, pharmaceutical, developer, charter school, etc.) puppet at a cost of about $250k in corporate and PAC money in a monumerntal and untrue smear campaign (that would be $2 per voter if they all voted, but less than half did). In the past decade, corporate money has determined the outcome of many initiatives. Now they are setting sight on the legislature. Jobs that pay ~$40k are selling for >$200k. A candidate raising $30k from the folks in the 'hood doesn't stand a chance. Initiatives promoted by volunteers stand less chance than that.

TAW

Date: 11/08/18 12:17
Author: fbe

Golly, now we are getting an idea where some of the money from the last corporate tax break is going. You know that money which was supposed to create all those jobs and investment in production capacity?

Montana's single Democrat in Congress ended up in a $60 million battle to retain his office. Tobacco companies spent $15 million to defeat a $2 a pack tax on cigarettes to support extended Medicaid which expires next year.

Montana's population just broke 1 million residents last year.

If we all play nice perhaps this thread won't get deleted for a day or two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/18 12:34 by fbe.

Date: 11/08/18 12:23
Author: tomstp

$35,000,000 came into Texas from OUT OF STATE for a democrat senate candident who claimed he took no PAC money, just small contributions (sure!).  He didn't win, but it was close.

Date: 11/08/18 12:32
Author: Lackawanna484

Bill Gates was a leading supporter of the carbon tax, and put millions of his own money behind it.

Just noting that some of the funding was local cash.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/08/18 12:33
Author: shadetree

Can't we just shove the political train back in the clear? Tie it down and go to the house?

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 11/08/18 12:34
Author: tomstp

I think a lot of people understood that proposed tax would be added to their costs of products. oil and gas, etc.  There is no affect free tax.

Date: 11/08/18 12:57
Author: TAW

shadetree Wrote:
> Can't we just shove the political train back in
> the clear? Tie it down and go to the house?
>

The issue substantially affects rail transportation in more ways than one.

TAW

Date: 11/08/18 13:14
Author: robj

I read an article about the tax, tho only one article, and it did not strike me as a pipeline tax.   Maybe we are talking about something else.  What I could make out of it, it seemed like a tax on "polluters".  Actually legally it is structured as a 'fee" and the revenue has to be spent on certain priorities.  Obviously by dictating where the money goes they try to garner certain support.However when you dictate by law where money could be spent the use may not be very efficient.  In theory it can only be spent on things like forests.
So in the state budget you simply cut the budgeted amount for forest preservation and fill in with carbon tax money.  This is the big lie we in Illinois are too familiar with.

The strange logic is this supposed to encourge people to move away from certain tyes of fuel and then in the next paragraph in claims to only cost individual consumers a small amount per month. 

Bob

Date: 11/08/18 13:36
Author: jst3751

robj Wrote:
> I read an article about the tax, tho only one
> article, and it did not strike me as a pipeline
> tax.  

The post by the OP indicates 2 different taxes/ballot measures.

Date: 11/08/18 14:02
Author: robj

jst3751 Wrote:
> robj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read an article about the tax, tho only one
> > article, and it did not strike me as a pipeline
> > tax.  
>
> The post by the OP indicates 2 different
> taxes/ballot measures.

Yes, I see that now.  Continuing the subject line in the first sentence, using "as" for connector.  LOL

Bob

Date: 11/08/18 20:58
Author: bradleymckay

The carbon tax was a flawed idea from the start, so flawed that several "green" groups wouldn't support it.  In general you can't pick and chose who gets hit with the tax and who doesn't, which doomed it from the beginning.

Allen

Date: 11/09/18 15:08
Author: BAB

Gore and his buddies are behind the whole scam and whent they want to fly in there private jets somewhere they buy carbon offsets to do so you and I pay at the pump.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds