Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Question about Coal trains on the BNSF Racetrack (Chicago)

Date: 11/14/18 19:20
Question about Coal trains on the BNSF Racetrack (Chicago)
Author: Eagle22

To All:
I was just wondering how many coal loads arrive from Wyoming via the "racetrack" to interchange to the east coast. Doese anyone know the destinations?  I just wondered. I hear coal loads pass the detector at MP 56, just prior to the Chicago subberbs, with 500-556 axles which means it is some sort of a coal train. I am just curious. I listen to the "Northen Illinois" stream on railroadradio.net. Look forward to all responses. Thank you.

Date: 11/14/18 20:23
Re: Question about Coal trains on the BNSF Racetrack (Chicago)
Author: inCHI

I don't know the complete answer. But, it seems like there are daily coal loads to NS that use the Canal Street wye route. CN also gets coal trains that use the St. Charles Air Line, but those seem less frequent.

Date: 11/15/18 04:03
Author: delvalrailfan

Don't forget the trains to West Olive, MI on CSX.

Date: 11/15/18 06:10
Author: kevink

From what I've seen from my daily Metra commute on the BNSF's Chicago Sub over the last year or so:
DTE Energy gets 1 to 2 loaded trains a day that are handed off to the NS at Canal Street. These trains are staged at Kedzie Avenue in BNSF's Western Avenue Yard. The coal is destined for one of DTE Energy's plants near Detroit. These trains can be ID'ed by the mix of coal gons with reporting marks DEEX and a variety of leasing firms. 

Consumers Energy gets 1 to 2 loaded trains a day that are handed off to the CSX at Western Avenue (west end of BNSF's Western Avenue Yard). These trains are destined for the CE plant at West Olive, MI These trains can be ID'ed by the mix of similar coal gons with CPOX and other reporting marks almost all with light green on one end of the cars' 

Consumers Energy also sends trains via the St. Charles Air Line to the CN which takes them a power plant near Bay City, MI. I think there might be a shortline RR involved with the final delivery.

There have been other coal moves on the BNSF Chicago Sub that went via the BRC to the KCBX transload facility at East 100th Street and the Calumet River but I have not seen within the past year or so. This train always seemed to have a mix of various BNSF coal gons.

Since my commute begins and ends in Clarendon Hills, I have no idea what, if any, coal trains might be interchanged with the CN at Eola.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/18 06:11 by kevink.

Date: 11/16/18 06:08
Author: Englewood

kevink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> There have been other coal moves on the BNSF
> Chicago Sub that went via the BRC to the KCBX
> transload facility at East 100th Street and the
> Calumet River but I have not seen within the past
> year or so

I think KCBX closed their facility on the BRC side of the Calumet river.
The new facility on the east side of the river is served by the IHB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds