Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Still can't fix stupid

Date: 11/17/18 07:05
Still can't fix stupid
Author: wpjones

I live in Lincoln. On the way home last night I was WB on Cornhusker Hwy which parallels the BNSF main line into Hobson yard. I was pacing an empty coal train when I heard the air go and the slack ran in hard and they came to sudden stop. Some thing has happened. I turned on the Scanner and heard the Carling tower opperator stopping all EB's leaving Lincoln due to WB declaring an Emergency at 33rd on main one.
The 33rd crossing has been closed all week for rehab by BNSF so I was almost there and looked south to see the lead Engine totaly ocuppying the crossing with something againts the plow. By now there was lots of talk on the radio, train master was in route. and so forth. I pulled in the parking lot to the NW of the crossing to see a young man standing there all by him self. Only him and the crew on site so far. It happend about 19:25. This is the good part. He told me it was his van they hit. Said he didn't know the crossing was closed and got hi centered on the tracks due to no crossing  back in place yet. Both sides of 33rd had baracades from curb to curb with no gaps so he had to go up the curb to go around them. The train was almost stopped when it hit. He was out of the Van on the phone with buddies at the time to come help get him off the tracks. Said he tried to call BNSF but no answer. I said you called the emergency number on the blue sign on the crossing signal. He said what sign. By now the troops were showing up in mass. First the Diesel house truck with five guys, then the wheel truck guys also for or five guys. Then signal and track. I counted 26 orange vests not counting the trainmaster on site or the relief crew. The inbound crew was short time and had to be relieved. They never did back up. The wrecker just pulled the Van away and then off the tracks. The diesel shop guys were all looking and the front of the engine.saw them looking at the MU cable did not remove or change it.
At 20:37 the train master cleared Main 2 for movement two coal loads when buy. The second one was a UCEX train with the Veterans car in it.
At 20:57 the train master cleared Main one for movement and the BNSF 6082 whistled off and headed to Hobson yard.
OK all traffic on the OMA sub was delayed for one hour and thirty two minutes from this service disruption. Thats what the Dispatcher called it.
Do you suppose the driver of the Van had any idea he is now bankrupt from his poor choice.
No I didn't have a Camera.
Steve

Date: 11/18/18 13:15
Re: Still can't fix stupid
Author: EsPee1229

Your subject line sums it up nicely.  As Gump said "stupid is as stupid does."

SEE TRACKS? THINK TRAIN!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds