Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Waiting for the main event

Date: 12/09/18 16:15
Waiting for the main event
Author: santafe199

In Friday’s chase of the very late, Santa Fe blue & yellow led SW Chief I found myself running from Topeka, KS down to Emporia because I learned the train had lost even more time from the night before. Per morning conversation with the ticket agent at Newton I was estimating #4 at Emporia about 8:45 AM. My plan was to watch for the eastward signal for main #1 at the Merrick crossovers getting lined up for #4. So I took up position west of the plant. And with an eye on that eastward Main #1 signal I shot all preliminary activity BNSF threw at me. But the 30+ minute cushion I thought had turned into over an hour. #4 didn’t show until 9:20 AM. Here are the 5 warm-up trains I saw while I was struggling with my patience, and the sun was struggling to shine through some wispy clouds:

1. I arrived just west of Merrick at the ‘Road F’ crossing at 7:48 AM. Right away I spotted BNSF 8179 sitting still in an obvious holding pattern on main #1 way west of the crossing. I thought this train might be waiting on #4 which would now have to be coming over main #2 or #3, which is somewhat unusual. But @ 7:59 the 8179’s headlights came up bright, and the train rumbled back into eastward motion with an NS unit trailing.

2. I got a little spooked, so when the 8179 cleared the crossing I drove on around to the east side of the plant just to be doubly sure I didn’t miss my coveted shot of the SW Chief under the signal bridge. I thought my skittishness had paid off @ 8:14 AM when an eastbound headlight appeared on main #1. But it turned out to be BNSF 7214 which proceeded through the crossover from main #1 to main #2. I shot the train then used its length as cover to give me time to run back around to the west side of the plant. I was guessing #4 was still quite a ways off.

3. Then @ 8:40 AM two things happened right on top of each other. Westbound BNSF 6906 came roaring out of Emporia at Warp Factor 8, AND the eastward signal for main #1 finally lined up. When the 6906 cleared I wasted no time in returning to the east side of the plant.

Date: 12/09/18 16:17
Re: Waiting for the main event
Author: santafe199

I was now expecting #4 any minute and I wasn’t about to budge. The only unknown quantity left was possible westbound traffic blocking my shot. #4 would be here any minute… Any minute………

4. Meanwhile @ 8:46 AM a westbound stacker led by BNSF 6392 came off yard track #3 at left town on the same track, now called main #3. With prudence I stayed on the north side and shot directly into the thin sunlight, so as not to be out of position should #4 suddenly show up. Any minute now…

5. Then @ 9:02 AM BNSF 5740 got into the westbound act and rumbled into possible conflict with my intentions, this time on main #2. Again, I stayed on the north side to take the shot. A very excruciating 18 more minutes passed before I spotted an eastbound headlight surrounded by this hauntingly familiar yellow color. Any minute had finally arrived!

6. @ 9:20 AM the Main Event can be seen here: ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4685611 ).
(5 preliminary shots taken at Merrick (Emporia), KS on December 7, 2018)

Patience is a Virtue!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 16:21 by santafe199.

Date: 12/09/18 17:37
Author: bmarti7

Hmmmm-It just doesn’t make sense. They keep the agent in Newton and not Topeka (i.e. Jim Woods). I’m sure there’s an explanation-anxiously waiting. 

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/18 17:42 by bmarti7.

Date: 12/09/18 21:55
Author: Milw_E70

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmm-It just doesn’t make sense. They keep the
> agent in Newton and not Topeka (i.e. Jim Woods).
> I’m sure there’s an explanation-anxiously
> waiting. 
>
> BB

Most likely because the Newton stop draws a lot of passengers up from the Wichita area.

Date: 12/09/18 22:09
Author: Ritzville

Nice series!

Larry

Date: 12/10/18 03:17
Author: sums007

bmarti7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hmmmm-It just doesn’t make sense. They keep the
> agent in Newton and not Topeka (i.e. Jim Woods).
> I’m sure there’s an explanation-anxiously
> waiting. 
>
> BB

Isn't there a bus connection to/from OKC?

Date: 12/10/18 03:34
Author: KimHeusel

Thanks for your efforts Lance. Pretty good warmup acts for the main event.

Kim Heusel

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds