Home Open Account Help 412 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Tehachapi maintenance Monday no longer a thing

Date: 12/10/18 11:58
Tehachapi maintenance Monday no longer a thing
Author: jkchubbes

I spoke with a welder last week and he said with the implementation of precision railroading that UP has stopped the practice of maintenance Monday which has historically made Mondays pretty slow on Tehachapi. Thought it was worth mentioning as many railfans avoid Tehachapi on Monday because of this.

Date: 12/10/18 12:47
Re: Tehachapi maintenance Monday no longer a thing
Author: SP4360

"Maintenance, we don't need no steeenking maintenance" Look for more precision derailments on the horizon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/18 12:48 by SP4360.

Date: 12/10/18 14:02
Author: callum_out

There's no derailments on Tehac, it's always smoooooth saiiling!!

Out

Date: 12/10/18 14:44
Author: goneon66

i have always thought m.o.w.'s time should be a priority.  i just didn't like 10 mph slow orders AND cleaning up after the "d-car."

Date: 12/10/18 23:18
Author: bearease

What's "Precision Railroading?"

Date: 12/11/18 09:03
Author: TAW

goneon66 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have always thought m.o.w.'s time should be a
> priority.  i just didn't like 10 mph slow orders
> AND cleaning up after the "d-car."
>

I relieved a guy in the Havre (MT - BN) office one night for 3d trick Havre-Whitefish. In the transfer, he told me that there was a signal maintainer at Belton waiting to go take care of the red signals east of Belton. Every train was taking a long time running Restricted Speed part of the way between Red Eagle and Belton. There were still several trains within an hour of the trouble. He planned to let the signal maintainer go to work as soon as the traffic cleared up. It turns out that the signal maintainer had been called hours ago and, living in Belton, had been ready to go for hours. I sat down and first thing after the railroad was mine, I gave the maintainer a permit between Belton and Red Eagle. As usual, I gave him a lot of time and told him to recon and let me know if it wasn't an easy fix. Signal maintainers and gandys still used motorcars, so they could set off in many places. If the trouble was only electrical, I could give him a permit joint with trains if necessary (he couldn't fix it in the clear) and let the trains mooch on down to him.

He found a broken rail. My colleague had run several trains over it and planned to run several more. The maintainer said that the way it looked, we were lucky; he shouldn't have run any.

TAW

Date: 12/11/18 09:04
Author: TAW

bearease Wrote:
> What's "Precision Railroading?"

Sonething from Olden Tymes or Europe or Asia.

TAW

Date: 12/11/18 09:08
Author: PHall

bearease Wrote:
> What's "Precision Railroading?"

Do a search for "Precision Scheduled Railroading".
Try to not laugh too much.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds