Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > First Merry Christmas

Date: 12/10/18 18:14
First Merry Christmas
Author: Bob3985

So a couple of weeks ago my friend back east, knowing my fascination for trains, took this photo for me.
I thank my friend, Dave Ferguson, for providing me this year's Christmas image for my online friends.
This is a CSX train traversing somewhere around the NY/NJ area where he lives.
I found the light snow among the fall colors quite intriguing.
Enjoy the photo and I wish all my friends on Trainorders a Merry Chistmas and a Happy New Year.
May your new year be healthy and blessed with many good moments.
Bob Krieger - UP engineer Retired

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/10/18 18:58
Re: First Merry Christmas
Author: OHCR1551

Merry Christmas to you and yours and a happy 2019.
Tom, Becky and Gabe

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 12/10/18 19:26
Author: krm152

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
That really is an exceptionally nice photo.
ALLEN

Date: 12/10/18 20:15

Thanks Allen. My friend sent that to me and I really liked it and had to use it.
For a non railfan he did really good.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/10/18 20:28

My friend just texted me to tell me it was in New Jersey.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/10/18 23:30
Author: coach

For a modern day cantilever signal bridge, that one is pretty interesting, with the many different signal placements.

When you have that 3 signal mast with the single light at the very top, is it almost always red?  Wish I had signal guide for CSX's signals and their aspects.  

Date: 12/11/18 02:32
Author: justalurker66

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you have that 3 signal mast with the single
> light at the very top, is it almost always red?

It must be red. Otherwise the interlocking signal can never be all red. The signal needs all red to signal STOP.

A single always red light at the top is fairly common at the end of sidings on speed signalled tracks. The best speed through the signal would be a medium (or limited if flashing aspects are used). There is no point in putting the green and yellow bulbs at the top if they will never be lit (the signal never showing CLEAR or APPROACH, always showing MEDIUM CLEAR, MEDIUM APPROACH or some other aspect). The third head provides for RESTRICTING (as well as other aspects).

On the track with the train there are only two heads ... no slow aspects needed. CLEAR and APPROACH allowed on the top head. The interlocking has no diverging route for that track (and no need for medium clear/medium approach signals).

The track closest to camera has intermediate signals with number plates at the bottom of the signals. This track curves next to the interlocking but is not part of the interlocking with the other tracks. Note that the heads have less than three bulbs. I'd bet that the bottom head seen has a green bulb (dark) and a red bulb (lit) to allow for the display of an APPROACH MEDIUM aspect. No yellow bulb is needed at this signal.  The opposing signal on the back of the signal bridge only has two bulbs on the top head. Yellow for approach and Red for stop. No CLEAR route.

Aspects vary based on the railroad (including the historical railroad). Different CSX lines can have different signals.

Date: 12/11/18 06:43

Justalurker is right. I remember when we were coming back from the CSX Santa Claus trip and we were backing over the Ohio River Bridge into Cincinnatti, the pilot engineer and the conductor were conversing signal indications over the radio. Well the conductor called out a red signal and the engineer asked if it was the L&N or another railroad's (the name escapes me) signal. The conductor replied L&N whereupon the engineer said keep on shoving it's ok. So in my mind I am thinking that the L&N's reds on the bridge were permissive and could be passed without stopping at restricted speed. And so we did and we backed down the north side approach to the bridge and on into the freight yard (former B&O) in order to go west. They had no straight thru track at that time to avoid backing into the yard. After that we pulled out of the yard westbound and headed over to a siding where the former Amtrak station was and bedded down for the night.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/11/18 14:01
Author: Hookdragkick

Beautiful photo. I miss East Coast colors during the cold months. 

I have a question about the orientation of the far right signal. What is the significance of raising that double-aspect higher than the other two to its left?

Date: 12/11/18 20:37
Author: justalurker66

The two signals on the right (controlling the interlocking) are at the same height. The third head isn't needed on the far right signal so it was ommited, but the red lights on the top head are at the same level and the second head on each signal is at the same level.  If the railroad would have dropped the two heads down it would be confusing to an approaching train (such as the one pictured) where the crew might belive that the third head at the top was dark and the signal was improperly displayed. Lining up the top heads make sense.

The third line (to the right) with the intermediate signal is far enough away and not part of the interlocking.

(BTW: I forgot to say --- nice picture!)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0639 seconds