Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Double Stacks Heading for the Geemo

Date: 12/12/18 10:38
Double Stacks Heading for the Geemo
Author: GTbend

Railroads merge or are purchased by another road.  Some lines are just abandoned.  The railroad of my youth was the GM&O through Independence, MO.  F units, "Redbird" GP35s.  The line saw many changes over the years.  From GM&O to ICG to Chicago Missouri & Western to Gateway Western and finally the KCS.  Always a lightly trafficed line, when the trains came battling up Independence Hill, the wait was worth it. 
Here we are at Effingham, Il.  This ex Pennsy Line now is CSX.  A dedicated CSX Train, Q107, the "Schneider Train", will run to St. Louis on CSX.  From there to Kansas Ciy, it will run on KCS,  the old GM&O.  When I used to hear the GM&O Fs battling up Independence Hill, double stacks were a thing of the future.  I'm glad the old GM&O made it to the future.

CSX Q107
Effingham, IL
October 29, 2013

Thanks for looking.

Bob Helling
GTbend

Date: 12/12/18 15:15
Re: Double Stacks Heading for the Geemo
Author: texchief1

Nice shot!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 12/13/18 12:10
Re: Double Stacks Heading for the Geemo
Author: IC1038west

Very nice catch of the westbound Pumpkin train approaching the CNIC crossing at Effingham. Before hurricane hunter, the pumpkin trains ran like clockwork across the ex- Pennsy line. After PSR, the clock lost its value to some other unit of measure.

Speaking of the Geemo and stacks, this subscriber was sure grateful for the photographers who caught the GM&O geeps (sometimes very dirty geeps) on the point of the Espee stackers rolling across the Missouri countryside on the Altons' Kansas City line in the early '80's. Different world back then.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0307 seconds