Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Slinky Sssssstop at Ellinor

Date: 12/30/18 07:43
Slinky Sssssstop at Ellinor
Author: santafe199

A while back I posted a for-fun thread about all the unit tank trains that were slinking around all over the land. ( https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,3521006,3521006#msg-3521006 ). The comparison with a slithering snake is unmistakable. From that thread I took one of the shots and re-edited/re-cropped it and added a couple of companion images. As I recall it was a bit chilly with snow on the ground, but it was also bright & sunny. So I didn’t mind that the train was slowing down as it passed my crossing near the very east end of the La Junta Sub. It was undoubtedly stopping up ahead at Ellinor, the junction with the Emporia Sub. I took the opportunity to shoot the snaky body of the train. I thought the geometrical uniformity of the tanks cars made an interesting subject.

1. BNSF 7135 on a unit tanker just west of Ellinor, KS.

2. The body of the “snake” leading way back there.

3. A water-color effects version taken right after the image above, and treated with a little P-shop TLC.
(3 photos taken February 13, 2014)

Thanks for slinking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/18 07:47 by santafe199.

Date: 12/30/18 07:56
Re: Slinky Sssssstop at Ellinor
Author: Atsf814

Hmmm..... Kinda like that photo shop watercolor effect job. Other images too for that matter! Thanks as always for sharing!

Date: 12/30/18 07:57
Author: perklocal

Very Cool !

Date: 12/30/18 08:20
Author: bmarti7

Very nice Lance - I love the snakes!

BB

Date: 12/30/18 08:32

Atsf814 Wrote: > ... Kinda like that photo shop watercolor effect ...

I should have been clearer in my caption: The 'water color effect' is actually a setting on my Nikon D7100. And the resulting image nearly always needs some Photoshop follow-up. But there can be a number of different times I'll use that camera setting out in the field. Usually when the image I'm shooting has a lot of contrasting color, or has a certain composition, or in available light time-exposures... or any number of other spur-of-the-moment conditions!

Lance/199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/18 08:33 by santafe199.

Date: 12/30/18 08:45
Author: Ritzville

NICE series! Always like the snakes!

Larry

Date: 12/30/18 08:46
Author: TomPlatten

I remember when SP ran those long tank trains which were connected by hoses. Was that to fackilitate loading and/or loading. If that plan worked, why did they discontinue that process?

Date: 12/31/18 13:25
Author: bbethmann

Love the pseudo-watercolor effect of the last photo as well the playfulness you often show with many of your photos from previous posts.

Keep up the good work Lance,

BB in Spokane

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/31/18 16:13

bbethmann Wrote: > ... as well the playfulness you often show ...

Thank you, my friend. Very nice words, there! I've always thought if you're not having fun there's not much point in having a hobby. But I have to admit the kind of fun I have with railfanning grew by leaps & bounds back in the 80s. I had the good fortune to hang around with 5 of the greatest railfan characters I've ever known. We pushed the ol' fun factor envelope out of recognition many times. We were truly a non-related band of brothers. It's safe to say the flights of fun I take here on TO are pretty tame compared to some of our Kansas Gang shenanigans...

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds