Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Fatal U.P. accident in Kansas?

Date: 12/31/18 07:40
Fatal U.P. accident in Kansas?
Author: JoCoLB

Rumors are flying this morning about a fatal railroad accident involving a Union Pacific employee at Oakley, KS. I haven't been able to locate any news media reports. 

Date: 12/31/18 08:01
Re: Fatal U.P. accident in Kansas?
Author: Railbaron

There is a post on the Oakley Police Department's Facebook page that says the crossing at Front and Freeman is closed since early this morning - connection to your post??? There are no details posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/18 08:02 by Railbaron.

Date: 12/31/18 09:35

Train symbol was MSIDV.  Reportedly, there was a derailment, according to an Oakley radio station. No other details given. 

Date: 12/31/18 10:09
Author: MSE

KWCH TV (Wichita) just reported the derailment but no other information. 

Date: 12/31/18 11:11

The U.P. has confirmed to hayspost.com that an railroad company employee has died. But no other information was released.  The accident happended Sunday night.

Date: 12/31/18 11:28
Author: cozephyr

Sincere condolences to the conductor’s family-tragic incident for all involved.

Date: 12/31/18 13:33
Author: bmarti7

Date: 12/31/18 13:48
Author: Copy19

Check out the graphic of a toy train to illustrate this report.

Date: 12/31/18 14:04

I noticed that. A track with no ballast. 

Date: 12/31/18 15:07
Author: SD45X

Riding the point back to his train and derailed and I think he was crushed. My info from a BNSF guy out there with connections.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/31/18 15:14
Author: funnelfan

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Riding the point back to his train and derailed
> and I think he was crushed. My info from a BNSF
> guy out there with connections.
>
> Posted from iPhone

The article seems to suggest that there was a crossing accident....truly a sad event.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/31/18 15:48

There has been heavy snow in the Oakley area in recent days. Perhaps the ground., rail or switch conditions might have been a contributing factor. There will be a major investigation of all aspects of the accident. Possible mechanical issues will also be closely studied. It's just a bad, bad situation for all employees on that territory,  all others in train service on the last day of the year. . A U.P. "brother" has been lost so unexpectedly.  I'm pretty sure the victim worked out of the pool at Salina, KS. 

Date: 12/31/18 15:56
Author: dan

ice in the flangeway i was suspecting

Date: 01/01/19 02:36
Author: Hookdragkick

Could the crossing accident be the fact the car he was riding rode up on ice at the crossing that re-froze after being busted up by his locomotives?

I was taught that you don't shove cars over snowy/icy crossings until you have cleared the rails with your locomotives first. That means, leave your cars behind, light power to bust up ice, then come back for cars. Riding the shove without doing so could cause your car to ride up the rail at the crossing and derail, with or without you on it.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/01/19 11:41

Here is a Google Earth view of the three-track crossing that was involved somehow. This is considered a busy highway crossing in Oakley. . 

Date: 01/01/19 19:12
Author: dan

there is another crossing that is busier if i remeber correctly

Date: 01/02/19 07:18

The accident victim has been identified as Jeffrey Keith Hogue, 34, of Bennington, KS. His funeral arrangements and obituary have been published in The Salina Journal.  Mr.Hogue was a conductor, based at Salina, KS. 

No details on the accident have been published. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0615 seconds