Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > arizonaBNSF heads west to California!

Date: 01/07/19 20:00
arizonaBNSF heads west to California!
Author: arizonaBNSF

Here's a few pics from a short trip I recently took to Southern California. I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of being on the New Year's Day Edition of Amtrak's WB Southwest Chief that arrived in California over 7 hours late on January 3rd and with two BNSF locomotives pulling it. Since I had no time sensitive obligations, I enjoyed getting the rare opportunity to see the Needles Sub and Cajon Pass from the train in daylight. Wish I could say the same for the other passengers! Pretty cool to finally get to see Barstow, Victorville, Cajon Summit, Hill 582 (filled with Railfans) and many other places I've only seen in pictures and video before. I also spent a day around San Clemente and got to relax along the beach watching Amtrak roll by. Enjoy!

1. The view of Cajon Pass from the lounge car made the delay worth it . . . at least for me.
2. My first train picture on Cajon Pass! Not sure of the location, but these were the DPUs on an eastbound. 
3. Not long after, an EB BNSF manifest comes into view. 
Sorry about the window glare, it was the best I could do onboard a moving train. 

Date: 01/07/19 20:04
Re: arizonaBNSF heads west to California!

4. An Amtrak Pacific Surfliner heads south as it approaches San Clemente.
5. About 30 minutes later, a northbound appears. This is the going away shot and a good eye will notice the top of a red NPCU on the front, this was Amtrak's Veterans cabbage car. Didn't a 'trainorders' quality picture of it however. 
6. Another Pacific Surfliner train (777, I think), heading NB and leaving San Clemente in the dust

Date: 01/07/19 20:06

7 & 8. Two more going-away shots of train 777. 

Date: 01/08/19 07:53
Author: ntharalson

The two BNSF freights look to be between Summit and Alray.  The first above Hill 582 and the second below it.
I can be corrected on this.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0428 seconds