Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > End of Crete - Beatrice, NE Local Chase

Date: 01/08/19 06:24
End of Crete - Beatrice, NE Local Chase
Author: twjurgens

By the time the train arrived at Beatrice last Thursday afternoon, it was 3:30 and light was beginning to take on that kind of yellowish look it gets late in the day.  That late afternoon, winter sun produces some interesting photos though. Switching was at the Beatrice Industrial Park on the north edge of Beatrice.  There are 2 spurs going into the park, one serving the Duonix biodiesel plant and the other serving Exmark (a division of Toro) and Accuma (a battery manufacturer).  Other than a UPS facility I don't know what other industries are there.  Things have changed considerably in the years since I left Beatrice. We didn't get any shots of them spotting the 15 empties brought down from Crete at Duonix but did get shots of them spotting what we assume was a hopper of plastic pellets used to make battery casings at Accuma.  In the first view, the hopper is being shoved into the industrial park and in the second, the engines are returning to pick up their train. In the 3rd view, the train is being pulled ahead so that a crew member can board the rear car for the shove back to Hoag.  Although the day wasn't bitterly cold like January in Nebraska can be, I don't envy the guy riding that rear car!!  There wasn't much wind but it was still chilly enough to make that ride uncomfortable. more

Date: 01/08/19 06:28
Re: End of Crete - Beatrice, NE Local Chase

In thie 4th view, 2618 and 3005 are shoving the train back towards Hoag.  They had picked up 18 loads of biodiesel at Duonix.

The last 2 views are at Hoag.  The engines would be ran around the train here so that 3005 would lead on the way back to Crete.  The sun was below the horizon by time we got those shots but they're kind of moody.  We didn't stick around to see if they actually headed back to Crete or called it a day at Hoag. Following locals like this one and the UP's Union to Louisville run are some of my favorite railfan trips.  The slow pace and out of the way places traversed are enjoyable.  Gotta do this one again in a few weeks.  

Date: 01/08/19 07:49
Author: Bob3985

Thanks for the great series and coverage.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 01/08/19 08:54
Author: santafe199

twjurgens Wrote: > ...  I don't envy the guy riding that rear car!!

More great coverage, Tom! As for that guy protecting the shove I've been there ~ done that a few times in my career. It's no fun, but I'm sure he's bundled up pretty well. Especially if he's a regular on that job...

Willie W

Date: 01/09/19 11:15
Author: Gonut1

Interesting shots. I guess they don't bother going into Beatrice to do a run around?
Thanks,
Go

Date: 01/09/19 11:25

I was told that the track they would need to use isn't in good enough shape.

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting shots. I guess they don't bother going
> into Beatrice to do a run around?
> Thanks,
> Go

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds