Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Former Santa Fe Pasadena Sub, Glendora siding disconnected

Date: 02/01/19 18:10
Former Santa Fe Pasadena Sub, Glendora siding disconnected
Author: PasadenaSub

Just saw this today, in an Email from the LA MTA Gold Line Foothill extension newsletter:

https://www.iwillride.org/construction-update-switch-tracks-removed-ongoing-pole-elimination-work/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

With the siding gone, I wonder if the famed cantilever signal at Pasadena Avenue has much time left.

*Edit 2/2: Just surveyed the work firsthand visiting Glendora this morning. The only track removed is what is seen in the pictures - the turnouts at either end. The siding is still in place throughout its length. I suspect it along with the signals will remain in place until all track is removed in preparation of the Gold Line and relocated BNSF freight line at some future date.

Rich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/19 12:00 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 02/01/19 18:36
Re: Former Santa Fe Pasadena Sub, Glendora siding removed...
Author: CPRR

Any way to get the signal bridge donated? I know of a good location 

Date: 02/01/19 19:11
Author: Chico43

There's really no reason for them to remove the block signals account of the siding being removed. The signals govern movement on the main track only and not on the siding.

Date: 02/01/19 21:33
Author: CR3

I haven't noticed the siding being gone yet.  That must be the first step in clearing the right of way through Glendora for the Gold Line.

Date: 02/02/19 08:25
Author: tc

Thank You Rich please keep us updated.  

Date: 02/02/19 10:23
Author: MyfordBrowning

Metrolink has been replacing the old signals on this line recently. It is amazing that they have not asked permission to discontinue the ABS on this track since there is no passenger service and normally only a local freight uses it.

Cliff

Date: 02/02/19 11:12
Author: PHall

Chico43 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's really no reason for them to remove the
> block signals account of the siding being removed.
> The signals govern movement on the main track only
> and not on the siding.

The signal in question is on a cantilever signal bridge which is right over the siding in question.
They'll have to remove it eventually to reconfigure the right of way to handle the 1 railroad track and the 2 light rail tracks.

Date: 02/02/19 23:28
Author: DNRY122

1) The ex-Santa Fe cantilever signal mast at Pasadena Ave. in Glendora.  I would presume that some of us would like to see this carefully taken down and preserved, and probably consider that Orange Empire would be a good home for it.  I have not been as active at OERM as I used to be, but I can ask a few questions.  
2)  This is one of the switches that was removed.  Switches are a weak spot in any railroad, so by straight-railing this location a possible point of failure is eliminated.  Note that this will all be replaced in a few years.  
3)  There's no doubt that this switch is out of service.  I think that padlock is called a "highly effective locking device".

Date: 02/02/19 23:39
Author: DNRY122

More from Glendora (as of 11-13-2018)

1)  Not sure what the white paint indicates, but the switch has been spiked.

2)  For the compromise-joint fans.  The 115 lb rail is for a grade crossing, and the 90 lb is the siding.  One can imagine all the squeaking and creaking that would have accompanied the last time a train went into the hole here.

3)  Sorry, birds, you're going to have find a new place to perch in the future.  Open wire lines will give way to underground cables and fiber-optic lines.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.051 seconds