Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sierra Northern the Day It Snowed II

Date: 02/07/19 07:31
Sierra Northern the Day It Snowed II
Author: cbk

Yesterday. Martin Hansen posted a photo of Sierra Railroad #18 on the Steam Board yesterday.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4726729

It was one of a set taken by Railfans Guy Dunscomb and Al Rose in 1949 when they chased #18 and its train to Tuolumne City on a snowy winters day.. Martin had posted more of this set back in 2016 
 https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,3954026,3954026#msg-3954026

For the last fifteen years I have been trying to catch a Sierra Railroad (now Sierra Northern) train at the location of the third photo in the 2016 set. Unfortunately the infrequent low snows never matched the days the Sierra was sending a train to Fassler. Who would have thought that it would finally come together seventy years to the day that the original picture was taken. Unfortunately all I had was my cell phone to record the event. I considered just taking a "still" to match the original photo but the sound of the train working hard as it made its way up the hill convinced me to switch to the video mode. I think Al and Guy would have concurred. 

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/07/19 08:04
Re: Sierra Northern the Day It Snowed II
Author: spdaylight

A CLASSIC example of the old and the new . .  right down to the lashup in your video . . well done and no apologies re: using your phone . . the quality is excellent and the sound recording abilities of the new phones has really improved!  Gotta be VOTD material!

Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 02/07/19 09:34
Author: LoggerHogger

Very cool video Craig.  I love the before and after in these view.

Martin

Date: 02/07/19 15:44
Author: px320

Boy, has that location ever changed.

Date: 02/07/19 19:38
Author: ck3573

Nice video.  Love the horn!

Chris

Date: 02/08/19 06:29
Author: Goldie

That's one big cat(I think) crossing the tracks.

Date: 02/09/19 12:23
Author: coach

Thank goodness the GP-9 was in the video--you can't even hear the Genset unit working.

Date: 02/09/19 13:17
Author: IC_2024

Wow, thanks to Martin’s vintage collection, and you, Craig for finally getting the SN train in the snow— well done. Congrats on VOTD, too!

Date: 02/09/19 21:36
Author: weather

Outstanding Craig, one forthe ages!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds