Home Open Account Help 153 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A look down the line

Date: 02/09/19 11:56
A look down the line
Author: CBRL

Here is a shot from May 2017 looking south down the old SP Siskiyou line (now CORP) near Goshen, Oregon.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/19 11:59 by CBRL.

Date: 02/09/19 11:59
Re: A look down the line
Author: SP4360

Well thsat line has certainly seen better days.

Date: 02/09/19 12:01
Author: GP30Frank

I bet that trackage provides an interesting ride !

Date: 02/09/19 12:16
Author: HogheadMike

Did you say the Penn Central?  LOL

Date: 02/09/19 12:22
Author: Railbaron

You've got me stumped because I can't think of any place "near Goshen" that would give that view. Could this be looking south at Curtain instead? 

I ran a lot of trains on that line when it was SP and even though you're using a very "long" lens I can't remember it being that bad. Of course under Rail America there was no maintenance and I imagine lots of areas settled badly.

Date: 02/09/19 12:23
Author: EsPee1229

It's not nearly as skanky as the telephoto lens portrays.

Keith in Roseburg

Date: 02/09/19 12:27
Author: CBRL

It was shot from south of the Dillard Road crossing between Goshen and Creswell, just past the block signal at MP 638.9.  And yes the telephoto compression makes it look much worse than it is.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/19 12:28 by CBRL.

Date: 02/09/19 12:30
Author: PHall

The "telephoto smash" effect makes it look worse then it really is. It's still crappy track, just not as crappy as it looks with the telephoto .

Date: 02/09/19 12:34
Author: Railbaron

Ah, thank you. The compression of the long lens threw me off because of the hill in the background; Google Maps doesn't allow for that. The only place I could find close to that was at Curtain. Camas Swale, which you're looking across, settled a lot and SP surfaced it fairly often; used to be 35 or 40 mph track under the last years of SP through there.

The other part that drove me up the wall is the second telephone pole has a signal box up high, which would have been a drop for an old block signal; Curtain didn't have that but your described location did. Mystery (in my mind) solved - thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/19 12:36 by Railbaron.

Date: 02/09/19 13:02
Author: stanhunter

That part of the line still sees some big tonnage and big power.

Date: 02/10/19 06:16
Author: obsessedfoamer

Ive rode that that line on the Yoncalla Local 2 or 3 times about 15 years ago. It was when the Semaphores were still in service, was really a blast!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds