Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Just Can't Win!!!

Date: 03/04/19 01:03
Just Can't Win!!!
Author: funnelfan

For the past few months I've been wanting a perfectly sunny day when I'm not working, but always seem to get thwarted in that department. But Sunday was a perfectly awesome day of sunshine, aside from the bitter cold wind blowing a lot of dry powdery snow around. I was finally freed up around noon to go catch some trains......one problem, they were all eastbound heading away from the sun. Only saw a couple of westbounds, the southbound UP train with CP power was the only one I was able to photograph. While in Spokane earlier I spotted this freshly painted BNSF caboose with a bunch of heritage logos deep inside of Yardley (thank the lord for telephoto lenses!). No more trains were coming, so I had to settle this shot of a old IH Farmall tractor sitting in the corner of a snow covered field.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 03/04/19 03:04
Re: Just Can't Win!!!
Author: cinder

I'm guessing it is a 1940s Farmall B like the one on the left in my family's 1946 Christmas card.  Nice winter scene Ted..

Date: 03/04/19 04:34
Author: Korigaoka1811

No CB&Q herald on that caboose!  Incomplete!

John

Date: 03/04/19 06:38
Author: gnfan

No Frisco or Santa Fe, either.

Date: 03/04/19 06:46
Author: bmarti7

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm guessing it is a 1940s Farmall B like the one
> on the left in my family's 1946 Christmas card. 
> Nice winter scene Ted..

farmers’ wives-as tough as they come.

BB

Date: 03/04/19 07:17
Author: LocoPilot750

The tractor is an early Farmall Super A. They were an up grade of the Farmall A, which came out in the late 1930's. They  added hydraulics under the fuel tank, and called it a "Super A". It later became the Super A-1 with a slightly bigger engine, then the 100, 130, 140 and were built into the 1970's, as yellow and white Internationals. Mine was one of the first 250 built out of about a quarter million in the product life. They were introduced in Dec of 1947, mine was built in Feb. of '48, it's older than I am. The earliest ones had same type steering rods as mine, and the one in the photo, so it's early also. They later went to an automotive type tie rod which had less play, or lost motion for better steering. The "B" had a narrow front, and wide rear axles, and the engine torque tube and transmission were centered, on the A's they were off set to the left.

Date: 03/04/19 08:32
Author: wjpyper

I learned to drive one of those before I drove a car!
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 03/04/19 09:04
Author: PHall

gnfan Wrote:
> No Frisco or Santa Fe, either.

I believe they were honoring the roads that actually ran in the Pacific Northwest.

Date: 03/04/19 09:33
Author: Ritzville

Nice series Ted. I like the caboose shot It sure has been COLD and windy!

Larry

Date: 03/04/19 11:31
Author: truxtrax

gnfan Wrote:
> No Frisco or Santa Fe, either.

But it's obvious that it's not BNSF, and represents Burlington Northern.

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 03/05/19 05:54
Author: Korigaoka1811

PHall Wrote:
> gnfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No Frisco or Santa Fe, either.
>
> I believe they were honoring the roads that
> actually ran in the Pacific Northwest.

But the Burlington ran "Everywhere West"!  And the Q did get to Billings --  that's a *little* Pacific Northwest?

John (Big CB&Q Fan)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds