Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A Lonely Tidewater Turn Passing a Blooming Cherry Orchard

Date: 03/14/19 17:47
A Lonely Tidewater Turn Passing a Blooming Cherry Orchard
Author: lynnpowell

This morning's "Escalon Turn" took but a single boxcar from Stockton to Escalon Canners on the UP's ex-Tidewater Southern.  There was nothing from Escalon going back to Stockton, so the lone GATX leasor unit slowly (8-mph) made it's way back.  Here they are passing a cherry orchard that is just beginning to bloom three miles west of Escalon.  The almonds are 90% done blooming, but the peaches are also just beginning to bloom.  The engine did pick up some loaded boxcars from the winery at Franzia.  Today is only the second "blue sky day" for this area in the last three weeks! 

Date: 03/14/19 17:48
Re: A Lonely Tidewater Turn Passing a Blooming Cherry Orchard
Author: callum_out

Very nice, excellent to see some blue sky up there, that branch has to be on the sale list somewhere.

Out

Date: 03/14/19 17:59
Author: oyw

Like it!

Date: 03/14/19 20:37
Author: phthithu

Nice pic. Neat to hear about this fruit and wine traffic on this branch. 

Date: 03/14/19 23:15
Author: coach

This line has welded rail, and is flat.  I ride my bicycle at 15 mph--why can't the RR do at least 20-25 mph??  8 mph is way too slow.  Takes all day to do anything at that speed.

Date: 03/15/19 11:30

<<<Coach says,  This line has welded rail, and is flat.  I ride my bicycle at 15 mph--why can't the RR do at least 20-25 mph??  8 mph is way too slow.  Takes all day to do anything at that speed.>>>
Deferred maintenance is the name of the game.  I don't know how the locomotives and cars stay on the unkept track on the run-around track at Simms and the quarter-mile long spur into Franzia Winery.  The only derailments that I have heard of have happened on the Franzia spur.....in one, a GP40-2 derailed right in the middle of Hwy 120, blocking the highway for three hours. 

Date: 03/15/19 12:20
Author: callum_out

The spur into Franzia is anything but CWR, probably hasn't been surfaced in twenty years.

Out

Date: 03/16/19 10:23
Author: BigE

UP used to run unit grain trains with big 6 axle units to Turlock on this line before they assimulated the SP.  Probably why the rail was upgraded in certain areas.

They even piled one up at the Hwy 120 crossing once. 

Date: 03/17/19 02:02
Author: EricSP

The line probably has a fair amount of traffic during tomato season.

Date: 03/18/19 09:42
Author: 6432

Nice work. Excellent picture. What days does this train run on this line? Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/18/19 19:18

<<<6432 asks, "What days does this train run on this line?>>>
The train departs Stockton around 8 AM Tuesdays and Thursdays, and around 6 AM on Sundays, IF there are any cars to or from Escalon/Franzia.  Times can vary due to circumstances.  Yesterday, Sunday, the train didn't run due to lack of traffic.

Date: 03/19/19 09:18
Author: 6432

Thank you very much for the info about the local.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0318 seconds