Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Nevada

Date: 03/20/19 20:57
UP Nevada
Author: dougd

Is UP from Wendover,( I think from Salt Lake city), to Reno double track?  It seems to be single track but isnt the old SP  route part of the UP thru Nevada?

Date: 03/20/19 21:22
Re: UP Nevada
Author: callum_out

No, it's essentially single and parallel route (ex-WP to Winnemucca) and single track (ex-SP)
to Reno.

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/19 21:25 by callum_out.

Date: 03/20/19 21:30
Author: mojaveflyer

The old WP main runs around the south end of the Salt Lake from Salt Lake City to Wells, NV (parallel to I-80). The old SP Overland main comes west of Ogden across the Salt  Lake on the  Lucin Fill. It follows the highway west through Montello and then over Pequop Summt. The two tracks join in Wells where they became the Paired Track across central Nevada. Just east of Winnemucca they split (at Weso) with the old SP main following I-80 to Reno, the old WP main crosses the Smoke Creek Desert, north of Pyramid Lake to Portola and then west through the Feather River Canyon. 

Several of us have driven along the old main lines. Bottom line, don't try to drive along  much of these tracks in wet weather! Very isolated country with spotty cell phone service. 

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/19 21:34 by mojaveflyer.

Date: 03/21/19 09:04
Author: dougd

Thanks for your responese and info
D.

Date: 03/21/19 11:41
Author: timz

WP was always single track across Nevada.
SP had some double track, but it's almost all
gone now. So two single-track RRs east of Wells,
and ditto west of Winnemucca.

Date: 03/21/19 13:27

There's double track on the ex-SP between Elko and Lucin, though I think some of that
is treated as long sidings anymore.

Out

Date: 03/21/19 14:18
Author: 2ebright

My timetable shows 2 tracks  from Lucin to Valley Pass (CTC from Montello to Valley Pass), then single track CTC from Valley Pass to Moor Summit followed by 2 main tracks CTC from Moor Summit to Alazon.
Dick Ebright
Roosevelt, Utah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/19 14:55 by 2ebright.

Date: 03/21/19 14:32

Yes there are CTC islands amongst the lengths of DT, you are correct.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds