Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Colorado trip

Date: 03/21/19 16:58
Colorado trip
Author: jim6300loco

Hi all, In September My wife and I are taking Amtrak to Grand Jct Colorado from Pennsylvania. We're renting a car and driving down to Durango for 3 days. We have reservations for the Durango & Silverton. I was wondering if on the way down there was any spots to get pictures of the D&S?
Any other railfanning I can do down There?
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, Jim

Date: 03/21/19 17:39
Re: Colorado trip
Author: DKay

A trip to Chama would be well worth it.
DK

Date: 03/21/19 17:59
Author: callum_out

If you get to Silverton around noon both trains will be parked there for lunch. That's the North end and pretty much all
you'll see other than the station and wye in Silverton. You can drive into Rockwood, may or may not be anything to see
and a bot further South you get to the point where the road parallels the tracks most of the way into Durango. Few back
road shots for the last couple miles into town if you want to explore.

Out

Date: 03/21/19 18:45
Author: ctfan

Yes, try and make it to Chama, it is worth the trip.  You will enjoy Durango too.   It is one of my favorite places for steam railfans and regular tourists too, great restaurants and other things to do.   It is very touristy, but visit the Strater Hotel and the Diamond Belle Saloon.   Walk on Main Ave in the evening with people from all over the world all having a great time.    My wife and I have been going there for over thirty years and it never gets old.    The D&S is a nice ride and if possible do both.  Take the C&T from Chama to Antonito and take the bus back to Chama.   Be sure and have reservations in Chama, not too many places available in August.  

If you have time,  stop by the Ridgway Railroad Museum in Ridgway, Colorado to learn about the Rio Grand Southern and the Galloping Goose.   Ridgwway is just North of Ouray.     You won't believe the view of Mt.Sneffels from Ridgway.   And you will marvel at the Million Dollar Highway between Ouray and Silverton.   Gee, I should be working for the tourist bureau.   

If the C&T gets the 168 running this fall I and my wife will be heading to Chama again.   We take number 6 From Calif. to Grand Juction and rent a car.

Date: 03/21/19 21:30
Author: P

Should we presume that you are referring to the active, in service portion, or are you referring to any abandoned sections before getting to the active line?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/22/19 05:14
Author: jim6300loco

just looking for active operations.

Date: 03/22/19 09:33
Author: WW

If you only have time to do one ride, ride the C&TS--much more authentic and laid back.  D&S is getting more and more like a crowded amusement park ride.

Date: 03/22/19 11:50
Author: DWDebs/2472

A few years ago we rode the C&TS from Chama to Antonito, with a fast return by a really comfortable chartered bus (included in the fare).  We got parlor car seats.  Highly recommended.  Even my mother in law, who is certainly not a railfan, had a great time.  I was really glad we didn't just go to Osier (the lunch stop, very good hot lunch) and return by train.  You get a much better sense of the vast open spaces traveling the entire way to Antonito.

Chama Station Inn is right across the street from the depot area.  Very nice and a good price.

- Doug Debs

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds