Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Mini-wing SD62 leading on Potash Local

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/31/19 15:31
Mini-wing SD62 leading on Potash Local
Author: SP8595

This past Friday, Union Pacific #2167 led the once-a-week Potash local Westbound out of Grand Junction. I'm not sure why this SD60 (ex-UP 6012) is classified as a SD62 but that's what was stenciled on the cab! In any case, catching a standard cab leader in this day and age with UP storing hundreds of engines and also sporting the "mini-wing" nose herald is worth a chase in my book:}

1) One of the only places to shoot a Westbound in the morning where the train isn't completely back-lit is just East of Thompson, UT. The background at this location isn't all that bad either:}

2) While the train picked up some Maintenance-of-Way cars at Thompson, I spotted this old Chrysler with some individuals that seem to have been baked by the Desert sun:}

My original plan was to hike into a location in Bootlegger Canyon that takes about a half hour to get to so after the train had completed a 3 car pick-up of empty Mag. Chloride tanks at Brendel, I drove South down towards Moab. With clouds building in the area however, I decided to go with "Plan B" and turned around at the Arches National Monument exit and headed back North. This engine was too good to possibly get cloud screwed at a "one and done" location!

3) After back-tracking up the Cane Creek Branch, I intercepted the Local at this location near Lee. Traffic on paralleling Highway 191 includes a SUV hauling a trailer full of kayaks.

----------------------------------Nine More Pictures Posted Below----------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:50 by SP8595.

Re: Mini-wing SD62 leading on Potash Local

4) The #2167 heads through the impressive cut located South of Seven Mile.

5) I am so glad that I decided to go with "Plan B" as I would have gotten "stung" with clouds at my spot that I had originally planned on! Here the train is exiting out of Bootlegger Canyon with Sun in the foreground and in the background but not on the train.

6) Traveling along the Colorado River.

----------------Six More Pictures Posted Below--------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:36 by SP8595.

7) At another location along the Colorado River approaching the end of the Branch at Potash. If you look closely, you can Jug Handle Arch a couple of car lengths behind the rear of the train at the end of the Rock wall.

8) UP #2167 switching at the Potash Plant.

9) On the Eastbound return trip, SD70AH #8913 was the leader. I hiked up to the top of a hill at the Corona Arch Trail but unfortunately the parking area and road down below were packed with cars:{ It must have been Spring Break. So to crop out the clutter, I had to back up enough to get a rock in the bottom of the picture that could do the job!

-------------Three More Pictures Posted Below------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:42 by SP8595.

10) UP #8913 is exiting the cut at Seven Mile.

11) Heading towards Brendel, the local is heading direction North on the Branch near the old siding location of Arch.

12) One last look at the Local now heading Eastbound on the mainline at Thompson.

Such a scenic branch, I hope it can survive UP's PSR cuts!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:47 by SP8595.

Date: 03/31/19 15:44
Author: pwh

That is not a Chevy in your second photo. It's a Chrysler Corp. product around 1949/50. It might be a DeSoto.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:45 by pwh.

Date: 03/31/19 15:49
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Nice Series John!  About 2 weekends ago, we either saw UP 2197 or maybe it was UP 2167 (can't remember) heading Westbound on a Intermodal Train.  Couldn't get a shot of it tho.

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 15:50 by RailFanAZ.

Date: 03/31/19 15:56
Author: photobob

Every shot is a winner.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 03/31/19 16:01
Author: NSDTK

The 2 means the control stand has been moved to allow for comfortable long hood forward operation, Very nice set of shots. Hope to get out there some day 

Date: 03/31/19 16:02
Author: perklocal

Just stunning photos. Boy some of those rocks are really red !

Date: 03/31/19 16:08
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

I'm kinda surprised you were able to catch up with him from where you took picture  # 4 and then got him again at picture # 5.  He had the advantage of the direct tunnel and you had the disadvantage of the circuitous highway.  
Great photos.  I wonder if a passenger train has ever operated over the entire length of the branch?  I imagine D&RGW ran an officer's special at one time or another.  

Date: 03/31/19 16:19
Author: callum_out

Just incredible shots, the SD62 was a true gem, BUT, do you ever work?

Out

Date: 03/31/19 16:24
Author: TheNavigator

Great shots!  Wonderful selection of vantage points and especially that red background.
GK

Date: 03/31/19 16:34
Author: Short-Hood-Lead

IOTD!!, just not sure which one! IOTDs for the rest of the week!

Date: 03/31/19 17:20
Author: TCnR

Tremendous locations along the river, nice work.

Date: 03/31/19 17:23
Author: highgreengraphics

Great catch and really nice photos there! MUST be an IOTD in that bunch somewhere! === === = === JLH

Date: 03/31/19 18:05
Author: pummer

Great collection of photos!

Date: 03/31/19 18:07
Author: bmarti7

Magnificent effort in some of the West’s most spectacular scenery. Many of your shots clearly show the layers of different rock formations which came from the various sediments collected at the bottom of the sea when this area was under water. Southern Utah is a true treasure of our Great Land! Thanks for showing it off!

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/19 18:25 by bmarti7.

Date: 03/31/19 18:27
Author: CPRR

Nice ride in photo 2......oh the trains and locations are stunning.......

Date: 03/31/19 20:09
Author: BNSF-6432

Awesome series! That sure looks like a fun line to chase.

PQM

Date: 03/31/19 20:21
Author: SCKP187

Fabulous shots.  Sure is a tremendous scenic branch.
Brian Stevens

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0792 seconds