Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > 1946 era jointed rail near Cle Elum, WA

Date: 04/06/19 17:08
1946 era jointed rail near Cle Elum, WA
Author: BrianA

With word that BNSF plans to replace more of the ex-NP jointed rail on the Stampede Sub this year with CWR (Yakima Valley Sub may be completed by now) I got some video between Easton and Bristol, WA at a few of the remaining locations on 3-30-19.  One is at MP 22 east of Cle Elum, WA.  Here a BNSF grain empty with units 7592/4859 and DPU 8283 shoving on the rear pass over 1946 era jointed rail.

Brian Ambrose
Renton, WA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/06/19 18:24
Re: 1946 era jointed rail near Cle Elum, WA
Author: czephyr17

Thanks, Brian.  Music to my ears.

I thought the rail was old when I rode over it on Amtrak's Empire Builder between Seattle and Spokane back in 1976; it was 30 years old then.  Now the rail is 73 years old, and I have aged just as much as the rail!

Date: 04/06/19 20:12

Once this rail has been replaced a little more of the Northern Pacific will disappear.  Glad I am enjoying it while it remains.  If I recall it was originally reported all the jointed rail from Bristol to Cle Elum was to have been replaced last year but BNSF just did MP 14 to Bristol and put off the part from Bristol to Cle Elum.  Revel in it now as the hum of welded rail won't seem as nostalgic as the noisy passage of a train on stick rail.

Brian

Date: 04/06/19 20:28
Author: coach

I love these videos--thank you for posting them!

It seems the BNSF does a great job maintaining this jointed rail, as the cars are barely rocking as they pass by.  Would love to see a telephoto compressed shot of the rail just to see how good it looks...

Date: 04/06/19 20:45
Author: pdt

I imagine there are some areas where passenger trains still run on stick rail...anyone know...??   Other than the CTA,  NYCTA, the trolleys and subwats in Philly, and I'm guessing the subways and trolleys in Boston....

I rode the CSSSB from South Bend to Mich City in the 1990's when it was stick rail at 80 MPH.

Date: 04/06/19 21:00

Here you go coach.  Rail at MP 19 three miles east at Teanaway, WA taken on 9-12-18.

Brian

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I love these videos--thank you for posting them!
>
> It seems the BNSF does a great job maintaining
> this jointed rail, as the cars are barely rocking
> as they pass by.  Would love to see a telephoto
> compressed shot of the rail just to see how good
> it looks...

Date: 04/06/19 21:11
Author: inCHI

Very neat. As for passenger trains on stick rail... in my Amtrak riding from the last ten years the route that stuck out for having it was the Cardinal, with parts in Indiana and on the Buckingham Branch in VA. Also, when I rode number 3 west to Raton, NM, I think Raton Pass and some other track in that area was still jointed rail.

Date: 04/07/19 00:26
Author: zfan

I love that sound.  Nice video!

Date: 04/07/19 04:28
Author: gbmott

BrianA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here you go coach.  Rail at MP 19 three miles
> east at Teanaway, WA taken on 9-12-18.
>
> Brian
>
> coach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Would love to see a
> telephoto
> > compressed shot of the rail just to see how
> good
> > it looks...

Very well-maintained.  It no doubt helps that it is mostly empties that use that line (is that still a correct statement), but still an accomplishment to keep the joints up as good as they are.  What is the current extent of signaling on the line?

Gordon

Date: 04/07/19 04:39
Author: czephyr17

Texas Eagle still runs on a lot of stick rail between St Louis and Poplar Bluff, MO, albeit usually in middle of night.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/07/19 11:24
Author: Trainman41

Its funny, we have gotten so use to welded rail,  that we have forgotten one of the basic sounds of  railroading, if you are older and been around a long time.  The "clickty - Clack" sound
was right in there with steam locomotive chuffs and whistles.

Date: 04/07/19 14:57
Author: BobB

Clickety-clack is the way a train should sound--and it can handle 79 mph with no problems if the track's properly maintained (welded rail simply needs less maintenance and thus is cheaper in the long run on heavily used lines).  Supposedly George Gershwin got the inspiration for "Rhapsody in Blue" from the sound of the track between Boston and New York.

Date: 04/07/19 21:35
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Nice Video Brian!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds