Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Transcon Photo Suggestions - Kingman to Flagstaff

Date: 04/11/19 12:15
Transcon Photo Suggestions - Kingman to Flagstaff
Author: cinder

Will be railfanning for five days in early May between Kingman Canyon and just east of Flagstaff on the BNSF Transcon.  Looking for suggestions for  picturesque spots reachable by rental car (not SUV) and 76 year-old legs.  Yes, I will spend a couple of mornings on the rocks above the tracks in Kingman Canyon.  Yes, I will spend several hours just east of Flagstaff framing trains in the Pondorosa pines. And yes, I am scouring the internet for maps and guides.

That said, please share your favorite haunts ...... Including you Ray Lewis.

Can I "penetrate" Crozier Canyon in a rental car .........Even a little bit?  Can I get to the tracks north of Williams?  Can I get a  train shot with the San Francisco Peaks in the background without a drone?  For me, the scenery makes the picture and I like some elevation above the rails.

1&2...  Kingman Canyon - 2016
3.  Flagstaff - 2004

Date: 04/11/19 12:18
Re: Transcon Photo Suggestions - Kingman to Flagstaff

Here's my train-watching buddy in the rocks of Kingman Canyon.

Date: 04/11/19 13:54
Author: WAF

Looks like its about ready to strike

Date: 04/11/19 14:03
Author: RayLewis

Problem is accommodating 76 yr old legs haha. I do alot of hiking for the views I get. My favorite places are between Cherokee and Peach Springs, Pica and Perrin. I love it out East too. Hard to get any elevation between Williams and Flagstaff, without a drone. But if you stay in seligman that Canyon Inn is nice. And you must eat at Lilo's.

The drive to the top of crozier needs clearance. Very rocky and spots. I have 4wd but didnt ever put it in 4wd.

You can drive along the line all the way back to east doublea, there is a locked gate there. There is a gate at williams but its always open. You can get to it from airport road.

There are shots with the peaks that are fairly accessible.easiest is to use garland prairie exit from I40 ..go south then make a left on the dirt road that parallels the tracks.
Ray

Date: 04/11/19 14:04
Author: stevelv

Nice shot of the snake.  Have never seen one in my frequent trips to Kingman Canyon but I always look out for them because I know they are there..  At Maine (Parks exit off I-40) you can get good shots of westbounds in the afternoon with the San Francisco peaks in the background as long as they are not obscured by clouds.  At Darling (Winona exit off I-40) you can get shots of morning eastbounds from the overpass with the peaks in the background.  You can get to the tracks north of Williams by following the road to the golf course west of town.  Go past the golf course several miles and you'll hit the tracks.  This might help a bit with your inquiries http://www.trainweb.org/brettrw/maps/seligmansub/yamp_bell.html.
Steve B.

Date: 04/12/19 05:50

Thanks for the helpful responses.  Here are pictures from a 2004 visit in rainy weather.

Date: 04/12/19 07:59
Author: Prophoto

Nice shot of your train watching buddy. 

Date: 04/12/19 17:19
Author: atsf5701

Your train watching buddy makes me very nervous. I wouldn't have gotten that close.

Me ------12 ft min.------snake.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/13/19 02:40
Author: 4745

That's a very clean BNSF 5521. So much for having to weather everything.
Graham.

Date: 04/13/19 04:45
Author: exhaustED

atsf5701 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your train watching buddy makes me very nervous. I
> wouldn't have gotten that close.
>
> Me ------12 ft min.------snake.
>

Chill baby, he's just sun-bathin'.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds