Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Update on locomotive M & R at OERM (SCRM) 3/13-16/19

Date: 04/18/19 11:40
Update on locomotive M & R at OERM (SCRM) 3/13-16/19
Author: TomPlatten

This update was delayed because we had people out at the museuem for four days this week. This up date is a summary of tasks that were performed during that time.
1) Because the fuel pressure gauge in the SP 1474, our Alco S-4, it was decided to change the primary and secondary fuel filters to see if that made any difference. Last Saturday. I changed the upper filter. shown in the first photo. Tim and I will changed the lower filter this Saturday. Changing the lower filter, which lays on its side, is generally a two man job because we try to capture as much fuel flowing out of the filter as possible In other words, it is MESSY!
2) The next photo shows the reason we have all but eliminated the backs and arm rests to the engineer's seat in our Alcos. The backs and arm rests  Ex-are gouging the cab's woodwork. The damage you see will be repaired but with the backs removed, it shouldn't happen again!
3) Ex-USAF 7441 continues to get atention. It appears that the check valves for the fuel supply mare draininjg back into the fuel tank during the week. That means if the locomotive is needed on a Saturday, the hand pump is needed to pressurize the fuel line to start the Cummins motors. We are going to install new check valves to keep the  fuel from draining out of the line. We may have to remove and overhaul one of these pumps. The 7441 is very important to the museum for switching!
4) Frank has reinstalled the upper components and set the timing for the injectors and adjusted the hydraulic valve lifters. Taka began to calibrate the throttle linkage but found that there was excessive wear in the system. The bearings and pins will have to be replaced! We are still aiming to start this locomotive before Summer!                                                                         

Date: 04/19/19 14:19
Re: Update on locomotive M & R at OERM (SCRM) 3/13-16/19
Author: Josta

Thank you, Tom! I know it's quite a bit of work for you to take these pictures and do the write up... Very much appreciated!

Posted from Android

John Acosta
Palm Springs, CA

Date: 04/19/19 19:38
Re: Update on locomotive M & R at OERM (SCRM) 3/13-16/19
Author: mundo

Must agree Tom on your reports.

Having been around for the first pieces of equipment was unloaded, its always fun to see the changes in the 60+ years.

Health has me out only once a year or so.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds