Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > What remains UP yard East Los Angeles/SP Taylor Yard?

Date: 05/09/19 21:18
What remains UP yard East Los Angeles/SP Taylor Yard?
Author: brc600

I presume both are massively downgraded.

Date: 05/09/19 21:33
Re: What remains UP yard East Los Angeles/SP Taylor Yard?
Author: SantaFeRuss

The old Southern Pacific Taylor yard no longer exist. MetroLink has an engine terminal at what was the south end of Taylor yard. I think the Union Pacific East yard is mostly intermodal now. Been sometime since I was there last.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 05/09/19 22:47
Author: UPNW2-1083

SantaFeRuss is correct, UP's East Yard has been all intermodal since they tore out the hump yard in the early 2000's. The "Weeds" yard, just north of the mainlines is now used for some manifest traffic as well as the 4th street yard along the east bank of the L.A. River. Also the old SP "J" yard is still being used for manifest traffic as well. -BMT

Date: 05/10/19 03:55
Author: utwazoo

SantaFeRuss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old Southern Pacific Taylor yard no longer
> exist. MetroLink has an engine terminal at what
> was the south end of Taylor yard. I think the
> Union Pacific East yard is mostly intermodal now.
> Been sometime since I was there last.
>
> SantaFeRuss

The north end on Taylor is an industrial park,  in the center is a large recreational park,  and the former engine terminal/shops is mostly a vacant property.   Dayton Tower sits at the San Fernando Road entrance to the park.

Date: 05/10/19 06:50
Author: pdt

East LA yard is still a very large facility, even if its all intermodal.  It isnt like its been torn down to next to nothing, Like Taylor yard.  There are no big open areas of dirt and weeds, where there once were tracks, and still large engine facility.  Its as large as Hobart, as far as I can tell.

Local industry switching redondo jct/alameda st area seems to be handled out of J yard.   The El Segundo and Torrance locals seem are working out of 4th st. yard.

Date: 05/10/19 10:21
Author: StStephen

East Yard is slightly larger than the main body of Hobart Yard in acreage, but:
  • East Yard's peak lifts from the last count UP provided was around 480,000 lifts/year.  Hobart was around 1.2 million lifts/year, plus another +/- 200,000 lifts/year at the old Auto-veyor facility just east of Eastern Avenue. This info is about 5 years old; not sure on current counts.
  • East Yard and the ICTF would trade places for UP's busiest intermodal ramp.  I believe Global IV has surpassed both of them in lift counts in the last year or two. If the ICTF renovation ever happens, it would be quite a bit busier than East Yard.
  • East Yard has a large UP loco servicing/shop area.  BNSF's moved out of Hobart east to an old industrial site just west of the I-5 underpass.
  • East Yard has an on-site cross-dock trucking operation. 
  • BNSF has acquired quite a few industrial sites between 26th Street and Bandini Blvd. for additional trailer/container/chassis staging.
  • BNSF has historically gotten roughly double the lifts per acre that UP has at its ramps. Not sure what the difference is these days; it's been about 5 years since I was able to check.
After UP finishes up the LATC renovation (the old SP Shops Yard, AKA the Piggyback Yard by those who want to convert it into a park), the plan was to renovate East Yard to roughly double its capacity. No word on how PSR would affect this. LATC should finish up its renovation later this Fall. The East Yard engineering is done; have not been able to get a copy of it.  

UP was also supposed to renovate City of Industry Yard into 100% intermodal, with longer working tracks, more parking, etc. Locals/manifest traffic was to have moved to Montclair.  This has been on hold for a number of years now. No word on how PSR would affect this.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/19 10:38 by StStephen.

Date: 05/13/19 11:55
Author: CPRR

Ariel of the Taylor Yard site

Date: 05/13/19 12:06
Author: brc600

What year was this photo taken?

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ariel of the Taylor Yard site

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1076 seconds