Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Derailment on the Orin Sub north of Bill, Wyo

Date: 06/03/19 14:13
Derailment on the Orin Sub north of Bill, Wyo
Author: fredstoltz

I just heard there is a derailment on the Orin Sub, north of Bill, Wyo.  Any other details available?  fred

Date: 06/03/19 14:50
Re: Derailment on the Orin Sub north of Bill, Wyo
Author: Lkirts

Date: 06/03/19 15:21
Author: Android

I was wondering when someone would post something about it.   Yesterday on the way home from work in the morning I passed by it, just north of Bill, it was pretty fresh at the time,  There were some pictures from the other side of the derailment in our office at work last night, looks a broken wheel was found.  The derailed cars were more than off the rails, they were on their sides with lots of coal to clean up.  Today on the way home from work they had made some progress, the hoppers (BNSF PAM symbol JHMX cars) had been moved off to the side, they were working on cleaning up the coal, a huge ballast train was standing by to the north and several flatcars with prefab concrete-tie sections of rail waiting to the south.  

Last week I had one of my good cameras in the car with me, not this week, so no pictures.  State of Wyoming had posted yesterday afternoon on the Highway 59 Message Board outside of Douglas something like "TRAIN DERAILMENT 33 MILES AHEAD, DO NOT STOP ON ROADWAY"  - in other words, no gawking, not that I would have stopped, any photos I'd have taken probably wouldn't have been much. 

Date: 06/14/19 06:02
Author: Android

Once they got all of the repair ducks in a row, this got fixed quickly and traffic is flowing as normal again.  

I still find it amusing to see the husks of those six JHMX aluminum air dump hoppers lying there on the right of way, two of which are upside down...

I never did hear the cause of this incident.  I did hear this a section that had a speed restriction on it, this time of year ususally that sort of thing follows springtime maintainance.  Above, I mentioned a photo of a rail-car wheel lying broken in the rocks, but I never did hear if this was a cause or effect of the incident.   Myself, I think it was a an effect. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/19 06:08 by Android.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds