Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A few Chicagoland

Date: 06/09/19 10:53
A few Chicagoland
Author: CimaScrambler

Being as I can't remember whether Chicago stuff belongs on which board, I'll stick it here and plug my ears in case I got it wrong.  :-)
Here's a few shots taken April last year while bumbing around The Windy City and environs prior to the Center for Railroad Photography and Art event at Lake Forest.  I shot several SD cards full of RAW files and am still poking my way through them looking for things that still hold my interest.
1) a departing evening commute train roars out of Union Station while clearing, I suppose, its exhaust plumbing of accumulated oil vapor.
2) another from the same location.  Constant motion in that yard throat that time of day!
3) A freight rolls through Kensington at night.  I should have taken notes at the time on whose tracks those are.

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 06/09/19 10:53
Re: A few Chicagoland

4)  CTA train in the Loop, reflected from a building window as it pokes its nose into a beam of afternoon sunlight
5)  People movers on the streets of Chicago - just a grab shot, but what the heck?
6)  South Shore freight rolling down the street running track through Michigan City, Indiana.

'nuf for now, I'll be digging up more eventually.

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/19 10:58 by CimaScrambler.

Date: 06/09/19 11:08
Author: DD40

That number 4 - WOW!

Date: 06/09/19 11:15

OK, a couple more . . .
7)  What comes out of a smart phone camera when you put it in Pano mode and then hold it up to the window of a passenger train passing through western Illinois.  In this case, it stacked up a series of transmission line towers neatly.
8)  High-key CTA action in the Loop.  One could spend a lifetime wandering around that area with a camera and never repeat the same images.
9)  One more night in Michigan City.
Peace -
- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 06/09/19 12:17
Author: mapboy

All good!  I like #5 best- a surprising street view!  Without the Metra unit, you'd never suspect that's a busy commuter line.

mapboy

Date: 06/09/19 13:45
Author: texchief1

All nice shots!

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 06/09/19 14:50
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 06/09/19 16:32
Author: oyw

Fine work as always Kit!

Date: 06/09/19 17:20
Author: overniteman

Nice series, very interesting images!

Date: 06/09/19 22:53
Author: 3rdswitch

Great camera work.
JB

Date: 06/10/19 13:36
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 06/11/19 05:44
Author: kevink

CimaScrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3) A freight rolls through Kensington at night. 
> I should have taken notes at the time on whose
> tracks those are.

The four tracks with overhead catenary on the left are the Metra Electric. There are two CN tracks to the right behind the train. Did you see the power for the train? Was it South Shore Freight?

Date: 06/11/19 05:47
Author: kevink

CimaScrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 9)  One more night in Michigan City.

This one is a classic nighttime interurban shot even with all the modern elements in it. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds